Alcohol & MM

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by LAnn33, Oct 10, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. LAnn33

LAnn33 New Member

Hello, I was told by my ENT 6 years ago that alcohol in moderation is fine with MM- that in fact it may help as a vasodialator. How many of you drink alcohol? Do you find that sometimes you may take things to excess in dealing with your MM? I know when I do drink, I drink 5-6 drinks because it does seem to make me feel better oddly enough! It's just the next morning that is not happy. :O)

Leigh Ann

2. huey

huey New Member

Heck, I'm drunk right now! ;D J/K From what I've read, alcohol in moderation is not bad for MM, but would worry about the dehydration factor. Just make sure if you are on diuretics(sp), that you drink plenty of liquid.
    Rob

3. dizibizi

dizibizi New Member

i agree with Huey..I get really dry mouth if i have more than 2 drinks..so keep hydrated..for 2 years after diagnosis i didn't touch a drink..so yes extreme..the ENT told me it was fine to have a drink here and there...heck I feel like I have been tippin most of the time anyways..I think my neighbours think I am drunk all the time when they see me staggerring around the yard..but i don't care!!

Penny

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I found that moderate drinking, one or two per day, was OK except, of course, when I was having a rough time with my MM symptoms. Because of another health concern, I stopped drinking altogether and did not notice any improvement or deterioration in my MM symptoms. Stopping alcohol did not help my other condition. It was a double loss.

Joe

5. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Leigh Ann-

I can tolerate a drink on occasion without it affecting my Menieres symptoms.... more than anything if it affects me, it affects my problems with allergic reactions (just due to high histamine)...... however, if you are on any type of vestibular suppressant (such as valium)- please be very careful as it can definitely interact with medications like that.
    I truly have not had anymore than 2 drinks at a given time since developing the Menieres, so I'm not sure how 5 or 6 would affect me!- but I don't have much of a tolerance anyways.

6. tamarak

tamarak New Member

Just before the crash a few weeks ago, there was another thread about alcohol. On that thread, there was general agreement that alcohol helped symptoms, especially if you took a glass of red wine or a shot of something just as the attack was beginning.

It is something to be cautious with, as I suspect that it could lead to a bit of a tricky relationship with alcohol, you know? A bit like valium--it might have addictive qualities.

I generally try to reserve alcohol for these situations and then never more than two ounces.

Tamara

7. angels29

angels29 New Member

Hi! Well moderation in anything is everything. For me mixed drinks dont bother me, I can have 2 and feel fine. On the other hand, if I have wine for some reason I have a bad reaction and feel yucky. So I think it depends on the person. Take care!

8. nassman

nassman Guest

Alcohol: The cause of, and solution to, all of man's problems!

that's what I say!

9. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I have had alcohol bring me back from the edge of an attack, so sometimes it is medicinal. Other times it doesn't help at all. But my doc did warn me about drinking and taking valium.....he said it's okay to do very carefully if you're operating machinery, like a car. Lisa

10. LisaB

LisaB New Member

OOPS! I meant NOT opeating machinery like a car! Lisa

11. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

I could have a couple of drinks with no ill effects. At times, my balance seemed to improve but I attribute that to the relief of neck spasms that I get. Haven't drank in a long time though, new drug prohibits that.

12. shudabenanun

shudabenanun Laters baby

I don't drink often so my problem is when I do drink its not usually in moderation and its the next day that I feel like I've been hit by a mac truck-haha

13. dizzychick

dizzychick New Member

It isn't "oddly enough" because I also have that feeling...it almost seems the more I drink, the better I feel! except for the morning, you are right there! I was also told by the doctor that a "few" drinks were ok, he just didnt say what a few was...hmmm? I considered quitting drinking, but it actually does make me not have an attack, marijuana did that once too, except for I hate that stuff...so I cant rely on that, shucks! plus I don't need my kids thinking I am a stoner or something :) If I have a couple of beers, I actually feel better, if I drink hard liquor, that doesnt work so well for me, I end up feeling sick (stomache) So sounds like to me, we are all waiting for St. Patty's day to have an excuse??? haha! Oh did I mention it is March 17th today....somewhere maybe?

14. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

No alcohol for me, quit it cold turkey. Feel much better because of it too. It's "the long run" effects that will affect your Menieres. Why drink when already feel drunk without booze, plus it's no good for liver or anything else. Just my humble opinion, ha! ;)

15. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

alcohol has not affected my symptoms in the least... i know that its bad for some folks here and i agree, if you are on a regular regimine of some meds, stay away from it... but from cold beer to Captain Morgan... i LOVE happy hour!!! :) CHEERS!!!

16. caron1477

caron1477 New Member

I can drink like a fish - - doesn't seem to effect my MM - thank goodness because it's the only vice left. No caffeine, no sugar, no wheat, well maybe there is sex left too . . . . :D

17. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

LMAO!!!

I agree, I've given up way too much already.
    When I was first diagnosed I quit cold turkey....but it was my ENT that told me to start drinking again. I wasn't about to argue! ;) He said 1-2 drinks per day, espescially my beloved wine, can really help. But he was explicit - no bingeing. Nowadays I usually have a glass or two of red wine at dinner and it really does help me. I did get carried away once this summer at my good friend's wedding celebration - it sure didn't bother me at the time but two days later I was knocked off my feet. Ok, so no more bingeing but I sure love my daily drink!

Amethyst

18. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I also enjoy a drink now and then, however the next morning there is intense fullness in my ears and I can hardly hear a thing until mid day..............

19. connordr

connordr Me with grandkids

I usually have a nightcap --a glass of wine or a shot of brandy or whisky-- to help me sleep, and it's supposedly good for the cardiovascular system. And I will have a drink during the day if it's being served, never more than two. No effects on MM.
    DC

20. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

I totally agree with Amethyst and Caron...have given up to much to give up my wine at night, and luckily it doesn't effect me, unless I over do it and then its more hangover than MM effects the next day and all the drugs I take say "could potentiate the effects of alcohol" but so far so good :eek: ;D