Advice for Partners of Meniere's sufferers

Discussion in 'For Friends & Families of Menierians' started by John2010, Apr 12, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. econgram

econgram i think i can i think i can...

be there be patient and do everything u can with out complaint thats what my fiance does

2. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I wonder how John2010 is doing? I noticed he's hasn't posted in a long time. I'm going to give advice in that, hopefully, they're still together and he's reading the board. My advice is to read as much as you can about Meniere's. Even if it seems like it's saying the same thing over and over. There's always new stuff comming out. It's not an easy road but I'm glad you've chosen it.

3. Coach M

Coach M New Member

Listen.

4. ava

ava New Member

It kills me not to be able to share time with my kids and they understand and wait for a good day. Not being able to drive all the time does not help knowing how to say thank you then kindly tell your loved one when you need alone time with my mm to concentrate or go within that is how we cope he you understand

5. Frustrated

Frustrated New Member

I agree totally with the others. BELIEVE him. When he is seemingly having a "pity party" it usually is a "very frustrated party" instead. He doesn't understand the disease (none of us really do) and he will start to doubt himself as well. ALWAYS be there for him.--Step back when he asks you to and be ready to step forward when he asks. Like someone else said, it is the little things that count the most. This is a long nasty journey--so settle in for the long haul. One of the sweetest and most supportive things (at least in my mind) that my husband does is make comments to me after someone has doubted my illness. These are along the lines of "I wish others really knew" or "I wish they would just not say anything if they aren't going to be supportive." Again--the little things.

6. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

My husband is my 'rock' and I know it's not always easy for him either. For 5 years now this had gone on--stages--good days, bad days, horrible days and sometimes 'all in the same day'!
    He gets frustrated at times, but I know it's not at me, but at what this has done to me.
    He too holds my hand, lets me hold his arm if I need steadying and many nights says, 'it's going to get better'--and he prays for me--'every single day'. That is sooo important.
    He supports whatever I need to 'try' to get help, like recently going for acupuncture--and it took me/us, a long time to say 'go for it'. We're both hoping and praying this helps. Just 'be there' for your husband and get some 'respite' time for yourself, it's important for you to stay 'well' too. God Bless !