Acyclovir

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by byron, Nov 18, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kay

kay New Member

Thanks a million for this post. I never knew that there was a connection between herpes and MM. I never had chicken pox in my life. However, my symptoms of MM began at 28. At that time I was tested for Multiple sclerosis and Epstein Barr Syndrome. MS was probable (although other than visual disturbances and loss of balance I have no other symptoms) but EBS was definite. The neurologist who tested me said that I had over 34 different virus stands related to EBS. Then at 30, I began having cold sores, which I was told was a form of herpes. I get cold sores often and they seem to show up near my worst MM attacks. I have an ENT appointment in two weeks. Now I have something new to address with my doctor. Thanks.

2. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Kay, When you go to see him, be armed with the Acyclovir Japanese study, especially if you are going to ask for a script of Acyclovir. You might want to print this out and take a copy... http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~ms-7/english1.htm

good luck

3. byron

byron New Member

So.... it has been one week on acyclovir, and the jury is still out.

After the first few days I thought I was cured! I mean there were NO symptoms - it was magical. And boy could I hear: made me misty - I thought wow, maybe everything with the business/career is going to work out, and my wife cried to look at me because I was the man she married again. But by Sunday afternoon the T started, the fullness and the fluctuating hearing loss followed. The last two days have been more of the same with minor dizzies. ARGH! Although I will say that I have noticed an overall improvement in clarity of mind and the dizzy bits have been mitigated. I'm wondering if I should be taking a higher dosage (currently taking 400mgs 5 times per day)? Or maybe I should just be patient and wait until the script is done, and hope for the best?

I'll keep you all posted. Any advice/experiences you want to throw may way are greatly welcomed!

Cheers,

B

4. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Byron, You have only been on the Acyclovir regime a very short time, I would suggest that you stay on the prescribed dosage of 400mg 5 times daily until finished...

Don't expect Acyclovir to relieve your Tinnitus, fullness or your fluctuating hearing loss, that's not going to happen!

However their seems to be light at the end of the tunnel with your other symptoms. Some people have to do the regime 4 weeks to get any results.

Your progress sounds good so far, Please keep us posted, there are other people reading this who are waiting to try Acyclovir. :)

5. byron

byron New Member

Is there any evidence that acyclovir can mitigate permanent hearing loss??

Thanks,

B

6. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Byron - The important thing is limiting vertigo attacks, thereby preserving hearing longer.

7. byron

byron New Member

"Byron - The important thing is limiting vertigo attacks, thereby preserving hearing longer. "

I see.

I was my understanding that it was the fullness that caused the fluctuating hearing loss which eventually led to permanent hearing loss, and the vertigo was a by-product of that process.... the primordial, descructive factor being the build up of fluid (fullness).

8. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

It's very possibly both -- the fullness and vertigo. Anything that causes damage or death to the cilia (hair cells) causes hearing loss -- that also includes noise. My doctor always told me vertigo hastens it.

9. carolanne

carolanne Lily

I, too, take acyclovir. I was under the impression that vertigo is the thing that causes hearing loss so if you can stop the vertigo, you stop the hearing loss.

My doc, the bubble-burster, told me that is not true. He said hearing loss can occur with mm even without vertigo. He is the premier mm doc at MEEI.

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Carolanne - I think I trust your doc more than mine.

11. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Interesting! My Ent. said if I can keep controlling the vertigo with Acyclovir then I would have no further hearing loss, and so far 3 years taking Acyclovir my hearing has remained the same (had it tested for H-Aids in May) I sure wish these so called experts would get together instead of flipping a coin... :)

12. carolanne

carolanne Lily

I know - you could ask 4 different doctors the same question and get 4 different answers. I say we pick the answer we like the best!

13. byron

byron New Member

I am no expert by any means but I am a sufferer and I have intuitive ideas regarding my own body.

My take is this: you have a virus/foreign agent harbored in the inner ear - the body wants to remedy this because it doesn't like the virus - it sends it's most readily available fluid, endolymph, to flush it out or combat it (much like it would send a white blood cell elsewhere in the body) - the fullness and fluctuating hearing loss are the result (too much endolymph) - the vertigo is a by-product of this fullness - and the tinnitus and perm. hearing loss are the result of the accumulated damage from repeated 'fullness' episodes.

So the goal, as far as I can determine, should be to stop the fullness. What that involves i don't know, but if one can figure out what that first domino is.......

IMHO

Cheers,

B

14. June

June New Member

I have only hearing loss and my doc - well known in his field too - says it is the precursor to the vestibular symptoms at least in my case.

I agree, pick the answer you like.

15. byron

byron New Member

'I have only hearing loss and my doc - well known in his field too - says it is the precursor to the vestibular symptoms at least in my case.'

this is interesting.....

I am reminded of something....

I had a hearing test done at work about 4 years ago that revealed a -25db drop at 250 Hz in both ears (my left was a bit worse I believe, which is my problem ear). I attributed this at the time to too much headphone work and listening at too high volumes (playing in bands, etc...) But the audiologist said that was weird b/c most of that type of damage occurs in the higher frequencies, my loss was very specific - only at and around 250 Hz. I shrugged it off.... 2 years later I started getting dizzy....

Based on this I can assume that my first symptom was hearing loss as well!

This disease is such a conundrum: varying factors manifesting a common pathology.

16. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Byron, this beast Meniere's affects us all differently, that's why what works for one will not work for all.

After being a member of this forum for quite some time now, I'm convinced that many here know more then the medical community! Go figure :)

17. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Perhaps because after living with this beast and extensive research on our parts that we could and do tell the medical community a thing or two about this dreaded beast MM.

18. dizzycat

dizzycat New Member

I was just diagnosed with HSV2 and meneiere's within 4 months of eachother. I got my first script for Valtrex today for the HSV2 and it says it can cause dizziness! Most of my MM symptoms recently have been the tinnnitus and fullness with some hearing loss. I really hope I can kill two birds with one stone with the Valtrex.

Any insight ont he side effects of this drug?

19. carolanne

carolanne Lily

Dizzycat - I tried valtrex, too and it did make me dizzy. The dizziness stopped when I switched to acylovir (even though the doc said that switching would not help!). If you get dizzy, be sure to give acyclovir a try before giving up.

20. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Hello Dizzycat and welcome to the forum, the dizziness side effect from the valtrex may not effect you. I sure hope you are able to take care of both issues...

Good Luck :)