Acyclovir

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by byron, Nov 18, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. byron

byron New Member

My blood tests came back: positive for herpes 1. Would Acyclovir be a logical next step? Can I purchase it over the counter? I'm in Canada.

2. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

Hi Byron,
    Here in the USA you need a script. I do not know what the Canadian laws are regarding that particular drug. Acyclovir has helped people who have found a viral cause for their symptoms. Forum member Soccermom comes to mind. There should be someone by soon from the Great White North who may be able to shed some light on your Canadian question. Good luck!

3. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Hi Byron, and welcome to our world. Acyclovir has helped many here who's MM is viral. In Canada you also need a script for Acyclovir. Here is the link to the study. http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~ms-7/english1.htm

Byron the recommended dose in the study is 400 mg 5 times daily = 2000 mg, 14 days.

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Hi Larry....is valtrex the same as acyclovir...same effects etc? Thanks

Julie

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Hi Julie, Acyclovir and Valtrex are the same thing (you just get to take a lower dosage of Valtrex.) 800 mg. Acyclovir is 500 mg. Valtrex.

Several people who had been taking Valtrex for MM did not get any results until they switched over to Acyclovir.
    Also Valtrex is more expensive... Acyclovir about 1/4 the price.

6. byron

byron New Member

Can Acyclovir improve hearing, or at least mitigate the hearing loss? Personal experience........

Hearing is my primary concern as I have got the vertigo down to a tolerable level with diet and rest, but I still have the tinnitus and the fluctuating hearing loss along with some permanent hearing loss: worst of all, I'm beginning to feel the hydrops and T in my good ear.

Cheers,

Byron

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i took acyclovir (sp) for shingles and I improved greatly (I thought mm too) but when I went on a regime for MM it didn't help the symptoms (I just felt so much better not having shingles)

best wishes

8. bigfool

bigfool New Member

Hi Byron,

Valtrex user here. My doc explained that anyone who has had a cold sore or chicken pox would come back positive for HSV. Check with your doc about taking the anti-virals. They are pretty easy on most people's systems.

As far as results - by keeping the virus "down" less damage should happen. That's only if its viral.

Marci

9. Soccermom

Soccermom New Member

Hi Byron. :)

I agree that there are A LOT of us that would come back positive for the Herpes virus if tested.

I am one member here who encourages anyone to try Acyclovir. My husband has taken it and it has helped amazingly. We really feel that his case is viral, and yours could be too.

Check out the link that Larry posted. Take it to your Dr. TRY to get your Dr. to prescribe you the 400mg 5xday for at least 2 weeks. You should be able to tell in that time if you think it's doing any good.
    I don't think the Acyclovir will help with any hearing loss already suffered. What it would do is to stop any further damage from being done.

You might not notice much difference though, if you say that you have the dizzies/vertigo pretty under control with diet and rest (good for you!!!). Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Laura

10. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Acyclovir will not Improve your hearing or your "T", however your hearing should not get any worse after taking the Acyclovir regime. (if your MM is in fact viral)

I state in my signature that I'm 90% improved as a result of Acyclovir... I'm discounting the fact that I still have tinnitus, fullness 24/7 and get short term spins if I lay down fast or tilt my head back in the shower...it has been pointed out that this could be due to bppv.

11. June

June New Member

Which herpes? I had a bad cmv (part of the herpes family) infection a year ago that took me a long time to get over. MM began this June.

12. byron

byron New Member

"Which herpes?"

The common variety associated with chicken pox is what I have( never had an outbreak in my life)!

My doc brings up a good point: he maintains that 70-80% of the population has this virus, but very few in relation have MM. He thinks the Herpes thing is a dead end as far as MM is concerned... in his words, "By using this correlation, then 70-80% of my cancer patients also have the herpes virus. Does that mean herpes causes cancer too?"

I see him tomorrow, going with study in hand (thanks Larry). I'm trying to get a script for Acyclovir: I might be in tough here. Wish me luck!

B

13. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I wish you luck Byron, Your DR. is misinformed, there is a connection with the Herpes virus and MM, also I live in the Caribbean and many of the Aids patients here are being treated with Acyclovir as there is no way the natives could afford the drug cocktails available in the first world countries today...

14. byron

byron New Member

I just picked up my script and popped my first dose..... hoping for the best!

Cheers,

Byron

15. June

June New Member

Keep us informed. I have not asked the dr about this.

16. byron

byron New Member

I will keep you posted. I have a three week script - will report.

Cheers,

B

17. Soccermom

Soccermom New Member

That's great news Byron!!! Some Drs are willing to write a prescription for it, and some not.
    Glad your's did! What is the dosage you are taking?

Best of luck...fingers and toes crossed that it helps you!!!

Laura

18. byron

byron New Member

My dosage is 400mg 5 times a day. Fingers crossed!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your support,

B

19. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Good that's the correct dosage according to the Japanese Acyclovir study! http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~ms-7/english1.htm

Again hoping that you are one of the lucky ones that the Acyclovir regime gives relief too...

Please Keep us Informed as to your progress.

20. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Byron, hows it going with the Acyclovir regime?