acyclovir regimen

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by hoopndoc, Oct 16, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Tai chi

Tai chi New Member

Hi Doc,

I hope this will help you. And it will not hurt you. I think about you and your wife often.

Barbara

2. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Is it me or are we missing the plot here some how?

3. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

:mad: I wonder if my regular doctor would bypass my stubborn ENT and prescribe some acyclovor. Prolly not, huh? I think tomorrow I will fax him . . .

4. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Why don't you do like others did a few years ago and also fax him a copy of the Japanese study?

5. Soccermom

Soccermom New Member

Our stubborn ENT did finally relent and prescribe the Acylcovir...just not the dosage nor for the amount of time recommended. But it's worth a try to fax, email, or mail the Japanese study. Couldn't hurt.

Larry, I am right here with you preaching about this!!! I am one person that you helped, and I hope we together can help at least one more!!!!!!! :D

Laura

6. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Bump ahead for the Newbie's:)

7. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Bumped for newbies that have PM'ed me about Acyclovir...........This is for you Leanne.

8. Rick in Mo

Rick in Mo New Member

Just wondering if any more has been studied about the use of antivirals like acyclovir?

This was my savior. I've posted this here before. When I had bad symptoms, including the vertigo, this stuff was what stopped it for me. I am fortunate that I haven't had a vertigo attack in a long, long time... of course the nerve damage is already done and the hearing in the bad ear is gone.... but, at least I still have one good one. If I ever get the feelings again, I will go to acyclovir immediately. When I did it the first time it stopped things... when it returned, it again stopped it. I am not saying that this will help everyone, but if it saves one persons hearing then it is worth it.

I honestly don't come here anymore, and I feel a little bit guilty about that because the people here were my lifeline when I needed it. There are so many good people here.... and I will try to be active again, because I know that this is a very very scary problem, especially when you first encounter it.

I think there are so many special people here.... and I pray that you are well.

Rick

9. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Hello Rick,

I have not seen very much studied on MM and Acyclovir, however ongoing studies and trials in other area's with Acyclovir.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00076232;jsessionid=B7750E665C12FD3F90EB2789A001F32D?order=12

Good to see you back Rick, I enjoyed reading your posts.
    If I recall correctly, we started the Acyclovir regime about the same time.

Good luck with your remission.

Be well / Larry

10. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Ok, my doc put me on 500mg of Valtrex 2wice daily for 5 days last week coz the beast came back. It seemed to help, still not sure. I have history of herps and Lyme disease. Man is that Valtrex expensive, 35bux for 10pills. I think she said Acloyvir is cheaper but you have to take more of it daily. Anyway, so not sure it worked, i'll see how thing go in vertigo dept this week. I'm uppin my HcTZ from 25mg to 50mg every other day to see if that helps. ;)

mya

11. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Best of luck Mya.

PS. nice pooch

Be well / Larry

12. Mya46

Thanks Larry, she's the best med anyone could prescribe! :-*

13. Soccermom

Soccermom New Member

Rick! It's good to see you again too. Glad to hear that you are still doing well. My husband seems to be helped by your very-own saviour too ("Acyclovir"). :)

I hope that more studies and trials will be done on this. I hope that more and more Drs will let their patients try it too.

Thanks for checking back in, and I hope you will chime in now and then. :)

Laura

14. Mya46

Larry - After some research on Acylovir vs Valtrex it seems Acylovir is a bit more easier on the system. Valtrex is pretty potent on liver and kidneys. My question to you is why or who decided on Acylovir for you vs Valtrex? I mentioned the Acylovir to my doc and she said you had to take it more often daily and Valtrex not as often so easier on me. Also it stated Valtrex can really compromise the immune system, something i'm not keen on and no mention of that with Acyclovir (though all meds can beat it up).

Just looking for some facts for my doc apt Thursday! ;)

Thanks!
    mya

15. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I think with menieres it's great to be with a doc with an open mind. My doc was very skeptical of the meniette, but let me try it. It gave great relief for a long time. I'm so glad to be with someone who is willing to listen to me. Glad you have all found relief. Lisa :)

16. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Mya, It seems to me that at the time Acyclovir was the safest of the anti-viral drugs.
    I can't say for sure as the old board crashed with the data, furthermore Acyclovir was what they were using in the Japanese study.
    http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~ms-7/english1.htm

Be well / Larry

17. ToniG

ToniG Guest

http://www.menieresinfo.com/treatment.html#treatment-medicine

Please see under anti-viral

18. Mya46

Thanks Larry.

Tony, my browser wouldn't go to that site you put out. Does it advocate Valtrex? I've read lots on both and did read the Japanese study and Valtrex was also part of that too as far as i read.

Thanks!

19. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

No I believe that this is what ToniG was referring too.

Antiviral drugs.
    We are hearing anecdotal reports from patients who are (perhaps by their own demand) being treated with antiviral drugs such as acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex) -- with mixed results. This apparently responds to a few studies finding a tenuous (in our view) connection between the herpes simplex virus (HSV) and Meniere's Disease. No study in PubMed states for a fact that HSV is a cause of Meniere's Disease. There are almost no studies to be found at PubMed on the subject of treating Meniere's Disease with acyclovir or other antiviral drugs and none that finds that an antiviral drug is effective in treating vertigo caused by Meniere's Disease (for example, this study by Dr. Derebery, et al., of the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles).
    "Effectiveness of Acyclovir on Meniere's Syndrome III Observation of Clinical Symptoms in 301 cases," Mitsuo Shichinohe, M.D., Ph.D., The Sapporo Medical Journal, Vol. 68, No. 4-6, December, 1999.
    The full text of this paper is available in English at Dr. Shichinohe's website here in eight separate download files (one download file for each of eight pages) in .pdf format.
    MenieresInfo.com report, revised April 13, 2007.
    This study is not listed in PubMed. The Sapporo Medical Journal is published by Sapporo Medical University, Sapporo Japan. The "III" in the title means that this is the third paper in a series of three authored by Dr. Shichinohe, none of which appears in PubMed. The other two papers are cited in footnotes 1 and 2 of this study. As of January 8, 2007, Dr. Shichinohe is listed as author or co-author of five articles in PubMed (click here).
    Results: In this study, patients were each treated with 2,000 mg/day of acyclovir for an average period of two weeks. There were 250 patients who were ultimately evaluated. In 82.5% of cases diagnosed as Meniere's Disease, 85% of cases diagnosed as Meniere's Syndrome (symptoms of Meniere's Disease but other basic diseases could not be completely excluded), and 89.1% of cases diagnosed as vestibular dysfunction, vertigo disappeared, and tinnitus and hearing were improved. No side effects were observed.
    Limitations: This study was not randomized, not double-blind, not blind, and not controlled. As stated in the study, patients "knew" of the effectiveness of acyclovir and "wished" the treatment. We have not found any subsequent citations to this study in PubMed. We have found no replication of this study. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of the antiviral drug famciclovir (Famvir) for reduction of Meniere's disease symptoms by Dr. Derebery, et al., of the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles, reported in 2004, found no "dramatic" effects on "vertigo or dizziness" and that famciclovir simply "may" suppress the fluctuation of hearing.
    Comment: Despite the limitations of Dr. Shichinohe's study, the results are impressive. While a viral etiology (cause) of Meniere's Disease has not been positively established, there are researchers who suspect, even in the absence of persuasive evidence, that a virus, and particularly the herpes simplex virus (HSV), *may* be a factor in *some* cases diagnosed as Meniere's Disease. We believe that it can be worthwhile for patients to discuss this study with their doctors, together with other relevant studies.

20. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

However, I beg to differ.

Because of whats written below and the sheer number of people on this board, myself included, who have been helped by Acyclovir.
    Every six months when I slide back and the "BEAST" pulls my back, I fight it and win repeating the trial study with Acyclovir.........
    I know some are thinking placebo effect (Bull Schitt)
    And untill you give Acyclovir a fair try and then judge it for your self, how will you know if this is not what you have been looking for?

Nuff said.

Be well / Larry

Despite the limitations of Dr. Shichinohe's study, the results are impressive. While a viral etiology (cause) of Meniere's Disease has not been positively established, there are researchers who suspect, even in the absence of persuasive evidence, that a virus, and particularly the herpes simplex virus (HSV), *may* be a factor in *some* cases diagnosed as Meniere's Disease. We believe that it can be worthwhile for patients to discuss this study with their doctors, together with other relevant studies.