Acyclovir anti-viral treatment : For you newbie's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 3, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

No, in fact I think some dr's would be more likely to rx it if they didn't have a defintive dx and were entertaining the idea that the problem was a virus. I would just ask the dr if you could try it so you know you had tried everything (rather than because you know something they don't). It was my family dr who rxed it for me. In fact she always suspected it was a complication of a virus.

2. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man Menieres symptoms off and on for 3 years, left ear

I was fortunate enough to have my doctor finally say, "so what do you want to try next?" at my appointment today.I have been diagnosed with MM. He is willing to go outside the box if my attacks flare up again. He said there are many other avenues rather than surgery. I am going on 2 months of no vertigo even though I have some recurrence of the other symptoms.I am currently on the JOH, loso diet and a diuretic.I told him I want to try the antiviral approach next if my current regimen does not fix the issues. He said he would be willing to prescribe Valtrex if things go south again. I need to find out how much it will cost insurance wise before going this route. I am on Blue Cross of Minnesota. Anyone out there that is on this insurance that can help answer this that would be great. Any feedback on successes or failures with Valtrex welcome as well. Good luck out there!!

3. June-

June- New Member

I did acyclovir and famvir. Both were generics and my prescription (blues of PA) paid for both at the usual rate. I forget my co pay but it wasn't high.

4. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to june and larry for answering my questions. Will keep you posted on if I'm able to get the prescription.

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

You're so welcome skye. Its been two weeks now, I was wondering how you made out in getting you're script?
    And if so how's it going?

Larry

6. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Its a good indication when people disappear after doing the acyclovir study, I can only hope its because its working and their getting on with on with their lives and living normally once again... ;D

7. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

8. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Hi larry!! I was actually prescribed famvir. I've only been on it for a couple of days, but so far so good. If it doesn't work for me, I would still love to try acyclovir. I was wondering if anyone here has had success with famvir? Thank you larry, june, johnny and joh of ohio for providing such great info on this thread.

9. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

Larry--

I've been taking Valtrex for about a month, and I'm still not really sure whether it's helping or not. I am mostly stable, though I've started to have occasional trouble with my good ear. It's been relatively quite of late, with only one or two "off" days, though it was mostly relatively quiet before, so I really don't know whether it's helping. I haven't gotten worse, or better, really, but I figure, if it's not getting worse, I should probably try to stay on it and hope it may help prevent future damage.

However, I find that the Valtrex really seems to upset my stomach. It's not unbearable, but I wake up every morning with an upset stomach, and some stomach pains or cramps. Is this common? Anything I can do to stop it? Last month I went off the Valtrex for several weeks because I was tired of the constant upset stomach, but I started up again this week, and am back to having a slightly upset stomach. As I said, not debilitating, but it's darn uncomfortable, and I hate the idea of having to live with this as a permanent condition (on top of my "regular" permanent condition!).

Any suggestions for stopping or minimizing the stomach upset?

10. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

I thought I had good success with Famvir in regards to my distortion only. After taking it for 3 months i decreased it to one 250mg pill a day. All my distortion has returned. I have also been under terrible stress since the recent death of my husband. I started taking 250mgs three times a day again to see if I could get rid of the distortion. I will keep the board posted. My internist just gave me 5 refills of famvir and told me to do my own research and take what I thought was the right amount. He seems to think that the drug is not harmful. Carole

11. June-

June- New Member

Famvir is what Dr Derebery uses at House and what she used in her research. She believes it is best for this. She has good results from it. My eye dr told me that all the group of antivirals are similar.

Remember that if a virus is the culprit the antiviral can stop it but it cannot necessarily reverse permanent damage that has been done. Like Trinity the greatest improvement I got was in distortion and tinnitus but that was my biggest problem so that was great for me. I Have also gotten additional improvemen in my hearing from allergy shots. Once damage has been done we have to try many different ways to mitigate the effect of the damage.

12. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

That's great Skye, let us know how you make out...

DreamChaser you need to limit hot or spicy plus caffeine and fried foods while taking Anti-virals, you need to drink plenty of water, also take with food to reduce upset stomach...

13. ben

ben dx mm left ear 2002 / left ear shunt sx 2003

Hello, this message is for JOH or Carribean, my left mm came back last week, the doc gave me a dose of steroids. I quit taking the acylovir about a 9mths ago. Now, I'm taking the aclyovir & the steroids together. Do you now if these off set each other? Or, do you think it's a good combo, you know the old "throwing everything & the kitchen sink" attitude at it. Thanks, ben

14. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Ben,

Acyclovir suppresses herpes viruses. Steroids turn down inflammation. They operate in two different ways and do not conflict, although the steroids are helpful only when taken. They do not conflict.

I think it's wise to attack Meniere's from all angles, which my regimen does. Read about it here, as it relates to what you have described:

http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachtoMenieresDisease-TheJohnofOhioRegimen.pdf

--John of Ohio

15. ben

john, you mention msm for allergy purposes. please explain, as there are other allergy agents out there far more effective. right? also, dr. derreberry is a big allergy proponent and put me on allergy shots at one time. i quit the shots when the md returned 2yrs ago.. or is your suggestion of msm geared towards the healing of the tissue aspect? thanks for your response. --ben

16. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Ben,

Now you have started back on acyclovir it is Important that you follow the directions of the study and take 400mg 5 times daily for at least two weeks in order for it to be of any benefit to you. Then I would recommend a maintenance dose of 400mg daily for a month. The Acyclovir study: http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~ms-7/english1.htm

Larry

17. ben

Will do Larry, I appreciate the advice.. Also, I'm still experiencing some dizziness from when md started last week. I didn't start taking the acylovir until this past Saturday(4 days including today). If my sypmtoms are viral, about when should I notice the dizzies going away? Thanks, ben

18. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

It works differently for everyone Ben... For me when I start back it seems to kick in the first week, others have to do the study for up to three weeks before seeing relief.

good luck

19. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

MSM helps turn down inflammation in the inner ear, thereby turning down Meniere's symptoms. Allergens have been shown to be a common factor in Meniere's, and these should be dealt with whenever and however possible. MSM is not the only agent to work in this manner, but it's safe and often effective.

Of course, Meniere's is not only caused by allergies. A herpes virus is usually the base cause, and that should be dealt with, too.

Prescription allergy drugs may, nor may not, work against the allergies involved with Meniere's. I think it can be highly individual.

--John of Ohio

20. June-

June- New Member

Ben, I don't have dizzies but my hearing problems showed the first inkling of improvement about day 5 and from then on for the rest of a month it was a zig zag 2 steps forward, one back but the trend always improving. Think of mono. That is a herpes virus. How long does it take the spleen and liver to get back to normal? Weeks? Months? Where there is tissue damage it takes time to heal even when the original cause is addressed. Dr Derebery says try for a month, if there is any improvement, take 2 more months. This is for the famvir.