Acyclovir anti-viral treatment : For you newbie's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 3, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. daveTO

daveTO New Member

onesmartcookie,

You should post as a 'new topic' (above the last post column) then you won't be lost in someone's thread.

2. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

The side effects with Acyclovir are minimal, very safe drug that has helped several of us here.

3. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Bump for newbies...

[​IMG]

4. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Can it help MAV?

5. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

Hey! That's Randy of "Trailer Park Boys," a hilarious show that was produced in Halifax, NS. I have a personally autographed pic of him.

Thanks Larrry for helping so many of us get help through anti-virals. Last year, they were a life-saver for me--stopped the vertigo, improved hearing, etc. When symptoms returned a few weeks ago, my ENT put me on acyclovir again, and it seems that I am temporarily cured once again.

I believe that I have seen you post that you take this drug for a short time at a fairly high dosage whenever your symptoms return as opposed to taking a low preventative dose. I have just finished 4 wks at 800 mg x 3/da. Since I see my ENT again next Tuesday, I am looking for your advice. Should I ask for a prescription to have on hand just in case I need it as I know how important it is to try to stop the virus quickly?

BTW, I'm travelling to the DR for two weeks again in Feb. Can't wait. What are the prices like there for acyclovir?

6. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I can't help you with that one other then to say that MM and MAV are very often confused and missed diagnosed
    Very cheep! and no need for a script here so stock up like I do! And yes my MM seems to come back annually or when I have a cold sore outbreak on my lips..... that's when I start the Acyclovir treatment over 800mg 3 times for two weeks and it usually goes back into remission in two or three day's... ;D

Larry [​IMG]

7. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man Menieres symptoms off and on for 3 years, left ear

Hi--have not posted in awhile and I apologize. During my last spurt of Menieres, we added Acyclovir treatment and I bumped up the lysine to 4500 mg daily. We did a solid month of 2000 mg of Acyclovir and now only a maintenance dose of 400 mg daily. I must say that considering this stretch of Menieres only lasted 2 months instead of the normal 5-7 months of attacks I am hopeful that the addition of antiviral treatment and the increase in lysine may be the ticket. Until I see a lengthier remission period we won't put the stamp on it. For anyone out there that has not tried the antiviral approach, I highly recommend it. I am now 4 months symptom-free (except for some tinnitus).

The herpes/Menieres connection is the only thing that makes any sense to me as to why these symptoms act the way they do. My doctor is still not one to put a stamp on any one type of treatment. He is kind of an "everyone is different" kind of doctor. Some things that work for some will not work for others, but I am grateful that he is willing to let me try things. Do not let a doctor refuse a type of non-invasive treatment to you. If they do, find a different doctor.

I also maintain a lo-so diet and am on the JOH regimen, however, these have not been enough to keep it at bay completely at this point. Good luck out there and happy new year!!

8. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Continued success, my man. ;D

9. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Ménière’s Disease Is a Viral Neuropathy 2011 01 09
    Richard R. Gacek

Morphological and clinical evidence supports a viral neuropathy in Ménière’s disease (MD). Quantitative
    examination of 11 sectioned temporal bones (TBs) from 8 patients with a history of MD revealed a significant loss of vestibular ganglion cells in both the endolymph hydropic (EH) and non-EH ears. Transmission electron microscopy of vestibular ganglion cells excised from a patient with MD revealed viral particles enclosed in transport vesicles. Antiviral treatment controlled vertigo in 73 of 86 patients with vestibular neuronitis (85%) and 32 of 35 patients with MD (91%).

Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Mass., USA

10. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Bump for the newbies seeking info.

11. dancing_kiwi1986

dancing_kiwi1986 New Member

Re: Acyclovir anti-viral treatment : For you newbie's

So I was just prescribed Acyclovir by my dr. The same one many of you are mentioning, Dr. Gacek. Yesterday was the first time I had seen him in the city I just moved to. I am kind of worried though whether this medicine with work for me or not. Reason being is that I have tried EVERYTHING else out there short of surgery and nothing else has helped even a little bit...plus, I have had the disease since I was 7...not as bad as it is today. I kind of progressively got worse over the years, and I have major attacks every 2 weeks like clock work. In between that, there is rarely a day that goes by when I don't experience some sort of light headed or dizzy sensation. I am worried that because I have had the disease for so long, and there is so much damage already done, that this medicine won't be able to help me any. I can deal with the occasional ringing (its not constant with me), and my hearing isn't too bad...I just want to knock out the debilitating dizziness and vomiting that has kept me from working a day in my 24 yr old life, or driving a car. I can't help but be a little skeptical...do you think that it matters how long I have had the disease in reference to how the medicine will affect me?

12. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Dkiwi, I went over 15 years before discovering Acyclovir. Also I tried everything short of the knife! If you're MM is indeed viral then you stand as much of a chance that the rest of us have had with antivirals.

Best of luck to you!

Larry

13. JoAnn G

JoAnn G New Member

I live in North Carolina and cannot find a Doctor who will give me the antivirals!!! I have had this disease since 95...shunt surgery and VNS , now it has gone to the other ear!!!! If anyone knows of a Doctor that will give me a script PLEASE let me know....i have tried about 10 or so already!!!! soooooo frustrating....HELP!

14. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Hi JoAnn,

Here is a list of doctors known to prescribe antivirals, including one in North Carolina:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,24288.0.html

I believe that forum member Papajoe is a patient of this doctor.

15. JoAnn G

JoAnn G New Member

Thank you so much!! It is strange however that Dr Cunningham gives the antivirals and I am a patient of Dr Mceleveen who is also in the same practice and he wont. Hmmmmmm I'm gonna give them a call!! thanks again!! :)

16. June-

June- New Member

Joanne, sometimes it helps to approach the doctor that you know it may not work for you but you want to know you tried everything before you move on to more destructive treatments. That way it doesn't sound to the dr like you are saying you know the cause of MM and he doesn't. Egos, you know. ;)

17. June-

June- New Member

sorry, duplicate post, don't know how I managed that!

18. Jerry33

Jerry33 New Member

Thanks for posting this Larry. I plan to take this to my Dr. in a couple weeks to see if I can change his mind. I asked about trying an anti-viral at my last visit and was told that there is no connection therefor no scrip.
    I have been on the JOH and NUCCA for a couple months now, had some early success but reality has set back in so on with the search.

Jerry

19. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Boomer and Joanne I've been wondering how you guy's are doing with the antivirals?

20. JoAnn G

JoAnn G New Member

Well I took the antivirals for 2 wks 800 mg three times a day. My doc seemed to think if they were going to work for me they would within that time.......just as my luck would have it..they did not!! actually my hearing got worse the whole time i was taking them as well as the vertigo and dizziness!!
    Went in today for a steroid injection (these have worked in the past for short peroids) go back for another in 2 wks. Also got a script for Serc...praying for good results with that. I am however glad i tried the antivirals! I have always said I would try anything to get rid of that nasty vertigo!! I can live with the hearing loss but, the vertigo....NO!!!
    Wish me luck...the saga continues!!!