Acupuncture and tinnitus/fullness

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by abra, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. abra

abra New Member

Has anyone had any luck with acupuncture for the tinnitus and fullness? I've had several people suggest it to me, and wondered if anyone had any experience in this? Did it work? How long did it take to show an effect?

Thanks.

2. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I had some experience with it years ago, and the trouble is that accupuncture turned out to be like a boat...a hole into which you throw money. It works, sorta, depending on the skill of the practitioner...but if you stop, it stops working. So you keep going back, and they keep sticking you, and you keep paying them. It's like putting a cork in a hole in the dike. It keeps popping out, and you have to keep putting it back in.

Not that this is any different from paying other medical professions lots of money to do ..... whatever. Hope I get some real help soon. and hope you do, too.

3. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

I have never tried it but if you do and it works please let us know.

Maggie

4. Buzx1313

Buzx1313 New Member

Hi.. i had accupuncture for vertigo etc but usless,,

hope this helps

Paul

5. pardonme

pardonme Guest

6. caron1477

caron1477 New Member

I've had some luck with acupuncture - - but I wouldn't rely on it for a total relief. I think it should be a part of the whole picture for relief.

7. abra

abra New Member

Thanks to all for your replies...Thornapple, I'd never given that any thought, that if it worked, you'd have to keep going all the time. Which is pricey! How often did you have to go to keep the symptoms down?

By the way I like your new avatar...it's cute...and the old one made me sort of dizzy!

If I do try this I will definitely post the results.

8. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

I've had great success with acupuncture! I've been 5 times and as Pardonme said it helps me with my neck/shoulder/upper back tension which indirectly makes my ear fluctuate. I'm fortunate and the tinnitus went away long time ago and never came back. It's like trigger point therapy for me. I truly found a healer i guess. I've been vertigo free for 3 weeks now. Whether it's acupuncture i'll find out when i stop which isn't for another month. But i can say, i feel MUCH better after being stuck full of needles in my back and then balancing my Qi on the front. My insurance pays so i pay copay, 15bux. I love to go there, she sometimes lights this chinee cigar that has an herb called lungwort and heats up the needles in my back, ohhhhhhhhhhhh.....i love it! I'll post when i stop going ....she wants to try chinee herbs in place of my valium eventually, one thing at a time.....we'll see.

9. gerg

gerg New Member

Unfortunately from what I have read acupuncture does'nt help with tinnitus.
    Best treatments are those that use sound enrichment. They won't cure tinnitus but they will help you not focus on it.

try the tinnitus support message board on ezboard

gerg

10. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I've done it, out of pocket, insurance wouldn't cover it. It is a calming experience, but didn't help ME with the tinnitus or vertigo. I've exhausted every conventional homeopathic route, but the meniett works for me for vertigo and bi-cross hearing aids for the tinnitus.

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I'm glad you like the new silly kitty. Other people told me that siameow made them dizzy, too, so off he goes no matter how much I love him. I have trouble with scrolling text, but not with that kitty. We are all so different...

Accupuncture didn't give lasting help with my symptoms, but I am going to try something new and I will let you know how it goes. My counselor is a licensed auricular accupuncturist and it is covered by my insurance. I am getting some help for stress, and it is supposed to be good for that.

12. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

I AM TRYING ACUPUNCTURE NEXT WEEK. I AM AT MY WITS END! I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE AND ONLY THE GENOMAYACIN SHOTS GAVE ME 20 MONTHS OF RELIEF, BUT THE DOCOTR DOESN'T WANT TO DO ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE IT MIGHT MAKE IT WORSE. I AM CURIOUS, DOES ANYONE HAVE MORE TROUBLE LAYING DOWN? I WILL "NAP" SETTING UP AND THEN WHEN I LAY DOWN, I START TO SPIN AND HAVE TO GET UP AND SET ON THE SOFA. I JUST TOOK MY 5 MG OF VALIUM AND AM NOW WAITING FOR IT TO TAKE EFFECT. I HATE TAKING IT, BUT I HAVE NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE AT THE MOMENT. TOO, HAS ANYONE BEEN TESTED FOR SLEEP APNEA? I HAVE MILD SLEEP APNEA, BUT CAN'T STAND THE MASK THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HELP IT. I FEEL LIKE I AM DROWNING! IF THIS ACUPUNCTURE HELPS, I WILL HAVE IT EVERY DAY! IF NOT, THEN I WILL CONTINUE TO SEARCH FOR HELP. I AM TIRED OF SETTING ON THE SOFA ALL DAY, AFRAID TO TRY TO MAKE IT TO THE KITCHEN OR BATH. WE HAD TO SELL OUR 3 STORY HOUSE AND MOVE TO A SMALL ONE STORY, IN ORDER FOR ME TO GET AROUND WHEN I AM ABLE. TOO, HAS ANYONE HAD THE NERVE SEVERED THAT LEADS TO THE INNER EAR? I AM SORRY TO RANT SO MUCH, BUT I AM SOOOO FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT THAT I HAVE TO VENT TO SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT I AM DEALING WITH. BLESSINGS TO ALL.

13. Mya46

Well it's been 2 months and i'm still doing acupuncture every other week now and still no sign of vertigo. I am happy with my results. Sometimes finding the right acupuncturist is just as important as finding the right doctor, i think. Check their credentials, it's important.

pamela

14. tess

tess New Member

15. Mya46

Tess

Why have you not asked help for vertigo?? My main objective was vertigo and she's helped me. She's also been an acup since 1989, and is a whiz with the chinese meds/herbs. She's a true healer and i love her too! The other day i told her my left calf was bothering me for some time now, probably pulled it doing exercise. She was so excited to help me with that since that is what she KNOWS she can fix. She said vertigo and anything ear related is difficult but she mastered it with me. Do you know the NEXT day the pain was gone in my calf and has been gone since. It's been a week since i've seen her and i've done same ole exercises, no pain. I'm amazed, happy, and thankful i found her, she's been a godsend in my life.

16. tess

tess New Member

Hi Mya46.....You asked a very good question....and I should have clarified with my experience. My acup does treat for just about anything, but I found her after I went into remission from my vertigo. As long as I stay away from my known triggers, my vertigo is at bay. I still have pressure, hearing loss and tinnitus in my right ear....and occasionally dizziness and balance issues, but right now other health problems have taken precidence over those. I've injured my back several times and had a frozen left shoulder that was almost paralyzing and excruciatingly painful. I now have full range motion in my shoulder and the pain in my back is 80% improved. She's also helped me with allergies (one of my triggers) sinus problems and disgestive problems with a combination of therapy and herbal remedies. I see her about every two-three months now.....and stay with my chiro to keep my back aligned. Being unilateral in hearing, my posture is always leaning to allow my good ear to hear conversations.......so I need regular visits to the chiro to keep out of degenerative problems. Both have been a Godsend to me too.

Basically....I focus on what the most immediate problem is when I go see her. If I have more chronic problems I go in more frequently.

I hope that makes a little sense! :)

17. Mya46

Tess

Sure, you make lots of sense! I thought you were having vertigo and glad to hear your'e NOT. Yah, nice to hear from people who have such wonderful experiences with alternative therapys. I literally tried it all and ended up here and feel so much better. I think my main focus is to stay as far away from surgery as possible. An "internationally known" neuorotologist told me i needed shunt surgery after 3, 15 min visits and no testing (hearing test only). His reasoning was i shouldn't be having 2-3 vertigo attacks daily....i never went back. Guess what, vertigo is gone and happened after acupuncture....whateva, it worked for me. I'm also addressing digestive issues since they corrolate with ear along with acupuncture and massage therapy.

Take care!

18. pardonme

pardonme Guest