A Successful New Approach to Meniere's Disease -- Official John of Ohio regimen

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by solari, May 20, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Have you been able to stay on 3000 mgs of lysine each day, without food? If so, you may want to hike that to 4000 or 5000 mgs, as these increased dosages have helped those with other herpes infections.

Hope this can work.

--John of Ohio

2. pamina

pamina New Member

Henry/John

I saw my consultant yesterday and he told me that the drop attacks are not a symptom of Meniere's and are unconnected. Rather puzzling. Anyhow, he thinks that they are caused by a TIA (mini stroke) and has referred me to a neurologist. I have posted in Living Room to see if anyone else has experience of this. Does everyone who has a drop attack have TIAs? That is what he was seeming to suggest, which would be a bizarre coincidence, if, as he claims, it is unrelated to the MM.

3. johnyz

johnyz New Member

Yeah, "Ni Hao" is easiest and very frequently when people talking to each other, and is very stand Mandarin.

I called to Vitamin Shoppe asked them when they plan to start delivering, the lady told me will be in a week, and to my place will be 2 weeks later via UPS, Can't wait,:).

Cocculus Compositum tablets from iherb.com is out stock there, have to wait till they have in stock again.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The good doctor is in error on this one. If drop attacks were TIAs, then virtually every person with Meniere's would end up debilitated by strokes. There is just simply no record of that anywhere here by anyone here.

I had a few drop attacks, and they weren't TIAs by any measure. To claim that drop atttacks are not related to Meniere's means that the physician needs to go back and look this up in any medical textbook or Meniere's reference.The guy just doesn't know much about Meniere's, sadly.

If you go to the referred neurologist, the guy is going to ask you why you were sent to him, instead of an ENT or neurotologist. He will have to swallow real hard and keep from getting a smirky look on his face when he learns that the referring doctor was sure you had TIAs that caused your Meniere's drop attacks. He'll send you back home or to an ENT.

-John of Ohio

5. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Could somebody please define "drop attacks?" Thank you!

6. Stormrider

Stormrider New Member

JoO, besides the 2 links nwspin provided, most sites I saw about vinpocitine said not to combine with any other blood thining agent. I'm sure Google will give you plenty of info. If your refereance to lysine was for me, i don't take it. Next time I see the Dr. i'll ask about a herpe's test, but i've never tested pos for any std before. Thanks

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Stormrider, herpes viruses are not necessarily stds.

Herpes Zoster, for example, is the chicken pox virus. It never leaves your body after the intitial chicken pox infection; it goes dormant and hides in one of your spinal nerves. Stress can re-activate it as shingles--same virus, different presentation.

According to skinsite.com, Herpes Simplex type 1 causes about 60% of non-genital cold sores, and eye infections as well, and type 2 causes the remaining 40%. The percentages are reversed for genital herpes.

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Stormrider,

And there is no definitive test for herpes viruses in the inner ear. A herpes test negative cannot rule out a virus in the inner ear.

No vinpocetine product that I'm aware of has a label caution against use with anticoagulants. If it were a well-known and well-described side effect of clinical significance, the purveyors of vinpocetine, of all parties, would be the first to caution users about this problem, were it to be clinically, as opposed to theoretically, significant.

Tens of thousands of people take vinpocetine each day and have no idea from anything on the product label that some parties think it could have anticoagulant concerns. I've never seen a report where a vinpocetine user had any bleeding problems.

Interesingly, in one article (http://www.purehealthmd.com/supplements/nutrients/vinpocetine/vinpocetine.htmhttp://www.purehealthmd.com/supplements/nutrients/vinpocetine/vinpocetine.html) vinpocetine was said to be bleeding problem "only at higher doses." At a mere 10 or 20 mgs, there is no evidence that bleeding is a problem.

If you don't take lysine or acyclovir, you have no way of suppressing the activity of a Meniere's-causing herpes virus in the inner ear. Only antihepetic drugs such as acyclovir (and a few others), or lysine, can stop the virus.

--John of Ohio

9. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

John,

Out of the folks who have responded to the regimen, can you recall anyone who was bilateral?

Hank

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Good question, inasmuch as Meniere's goes bilateral in a good number of cases.

But I don't recall a single bilateral case where the person has taken up my regimen. I have no reliable data on how well the regimen works with those who have the disease bilaterally.

This is understandable, though. By the time the disease is bilateral it's fully developed and the person has had the disease probably for many years. By that time, they've probably given up hope trying anything new or innovative.

Still, if someone had long-time, enduring MM, perhaps with the loss of hearing in at least one, or even both ears, I'd still recommend a trial six months on the regimen. It has the potential of stopping the vertigo, brain fog, and hydrops, which would be welcomed by anyone with those symptoms.

But lastly, it is very clear that the longer one has had the disease the harder it is to overcome with my regimen (or probably anything else).

--John of Ohio

11. nwspin

nwspin New Member

I guess you have forgotten my many posts indicating your regime was ineffective for me. I was bilateral from the start. Even though your regime did nothing for my Meniere's, I still follow it because it has helped improve my overall health. I also still go to an Upper Cervical Chiro that has done wonders for my back and hips but no relief from vertigo either. That is why I chose to have the shunt surgery, it has been the only thing that has eliminated the vertigo so far.

Even though I was bilateral from the start, my left ear has been the problem child. In the beginning I had fullness and hearing loss in both ears at the same time that led to vertigo. After starting the lo-sodium diet and diuretic both ears settled down for about two years then my left ear came back with a vengeance, that is when I sought out different treatments. Unfortunately nothing worked except oral steroids tended to settle the ear down for short periods of times but the Dex shot did nothing.

12. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Yours was a tough case, nwspin. But you did everything that anyone in your shoes should do. I am overjoyed that you have found relief.

Hank

13. songbird

songbird New Member

Definately a tough case. I have sought additional relief from an osteopath for the fullness and tinnitus in my ears...it's helping but very slow. You may want to consider investigating this other alternative form of assistance if you run out of other options.

SB

14. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

John:

I am bilateral . . . but I've only been on your regimen approximately a month.

Jacquie

15. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Yeah, I was always told I was a tough nut to crack. ;) My PCP is an Osteopath so I've been down that road also. He is the one that sent me to my Neurotologist who was pretty open minded to the alternative treatments I was doing although he didn't think I would have much success with them.

16. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

John - is there a maintenance dosage with your regimen? I have looked at it but cannot seem to find anywhere in it that you say what amounts to take once a person finds relief. Thanks.

17. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Elaine,

After you have pretty consitent and complete symptom relief, when things really seem to be getting along nicely, then you can consider going to a maintenance routine, which is pretty much the entire continued regimen, with these changes.

Forget the Vertigoheel, as that won't be needed (if you ever used it). Secondly, drop the lysine to 500 or 1000 mgs per day, taken without food. It's this background dosage that should keep the suppressed herpes virus at bay. At any sign that things are coming back, go right back to 3000 mgs, as before.

I recommend that you take everything else, as before. I continue to take my entire regimen, with no Vertigoheel, and a single 500 mg lysine capsule when I go to bed. I've been free of Meniere's symptoms now for over 7 years.

The temptation, of course, is to go off the entire regimen, once symptoms are gone or greatly suppressed. Many have tried this, and in every case I know of, the symptoms sooner or later resumed. And in a few cases, they were harder to get control of the second time around.

Yes, this continues at some cost for all the vitamins and supplements. But they help your health in many other ways, not just with Meniere's.

--John of Ohio

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I think the cost of vitamins and supplements is worth every penny, if it controls the cause of Meniere's symptoms.

I take 1000 mg of lysine every morning, about an hour or two before I eat, and I continue with vitamins B12, D3, C, riboflavin,a multivitamin, calcium, and butterbur. But I have all my original JOH regimen in the cabinet, ready for emergencies (which I hope will never happen). I was AMAZED how much better I felt on the B12 and D3. I try to get outside for an hour or so each day, as well, but that doesn't always work.

19. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Thanks John. I'm still in the experimental stage but was wondering what to do if this proves to be the answer.

20. JLR39

JLR39 New Member

I take 1000 mg of lysine every morning, about an hour or two before I eat, and I continue with vitamins B12, D3, C, riboflavin,a multivitamin, calcium, and butterbur. [/quote]

Hi Taximom5!

What does butterbur do for you?

Jacquie