A Successful New Approach to Meniere's Disease -- Official John of Ohio regimen

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by solari, May 20, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Here's the official thread for the John of Ohio regimen for those of you looking for it.

His paper on what works for him is here:

http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachtoMenieresDisease-TheJohnofOhioRegimen.pdf

John also posts frequently on our forums, so look for him.

Ray

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Because the regimen has my Meniere's in complete control, with no persisting symptoms, I don't presently concern myself with arginine consumption. But if symptoms ever reappeared, I'd try to stay away from it for sure.

Back when the regimen was finally working, perhaps in the second year or so of it for me, after I finally got it down to a mix of stuff that seemed to be really working, I mistakenly and ignorantly took some arginine for another condition. Bad mistake. Within a few days my vertigo and hydrops started to return.

I quickly made the connection and dumped the arginine. I learned later that arginine actually fertilizes and promotes herpes virus growth, and can completely counteract the suppressing actions of the lysine of the regimen.

Taking arginine is prett problematic for Meniere's. I don't know the condition you have that requires arginine, but perhaps it's one that requires additional NO for vasodilation. I seem to recall that arginine can help produce ample amounts of nitric oxide, NO, a very healthful molecule. But there may be other supplements that also do this.

--John of Ohio

3. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

Re: A Successful New Approach to Meniere's Disease -- Official John of Ohio regi

I was diagnosed in April '05. Pretty infrequent attacks for the 1st 3 years, I'd feel the pressure start building every 2-3 months, usually dissipating within 7 -10 days, occassionally ending in vertigo, from mild to rarely severe. In May '08 I had a day long bought with horrific vertigo, three weeks later, another, three weeks later another. This became the 'new' pattern. The symptoms became pretty much constant. About 7-10 days after the vertigo attack the ringing & pressure would start building. Life sucked, became a fog, most of ya know that part. Tried everything I could, chiro, cleanses, serc, acupuncture, every diuretic, low salt, you name it, no results...  All along though, I knew that I would find something that would work. I really did. Never for a second did i buy the ENT's "live with it" advice or the Nuerotologists suggested gentamicin. I'm a musician, I will never sacrifice my hearing. My ENT was shocked that I still have 82% hearing in the affected ear. I truly felt that my body was simply trying to flush out an irritant. It was doing its best to cleanse the area. It's the only thing that made sense to me. I made sure never to get angry at myself for this.

So... A month ago i bumped into the John of Ohio treatment on-line. What the heck? makes sense, I visit my local supp store & load up. I was just about to head out on a concert tour & felt like my ear was going to blow at any second, & a flight from Seattle to Atlanta may certainly fire things up... I had  a minor blow-out on the plane. The pressure relieved & i was pretty foggy & wobbly, but not laid out, thankfully. That night I started the regimen. That was over 4 weeks ago. i have had nearly no symptoms since then, just very occasional & momentary pressure bursts, never sustained & some short bouts of louder than normal high pitch tinnitus. When i get really stressed, I sometimes feel a momentary feeling of "instability" in my ear, but deep breathing, purified water & a few minutes of chill-out take care of it.

I have followed John's regimen, though using a few different brands. I have also added grape seed extract & generic betahistine, as well as niacin, licorice, vitamin D, manganese, zinc & red marine algae on the advice of my naturopath, who was very supportive of trying John's regimen (don't think my ENT would have been). Thank you John for your research, diligence & efforts to share your findings. i know things are still pretty "preliminary" for me, but I am having success for the first time & am feeling great. I'm reclaiming life & am a better person for all I've been through!  I'll continue to post updates : )  Joe

4. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Does anyone know what foods might be naturally high in arginine? Perhaps we ought to be avoiding those foods?

5. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

coffee, chocolate, (bye-bye mochas), nuts, whole wheat grain & raisins are primary offenders! Joe

6. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

experiencing some slow building pressure over the last couple days.... John, is this to be expected? Is there anything I can do to compensate?

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

The regimen often does not produce a nice smooth, progressing curve of reduced symptoms. There can be temporary setbacks. Complete or substantial relief seldom happens in just the first or second month. It can take up to four or five months in some cases before relief comes. And there have been a few reports that it took six months.

So be both diligent and patient.

--John of Ohio

8. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

Will do John, I have enjoyed the 5 weeks of "freedom" & look forward to more. Joe

9. newflady

newflady New Member

Bump for the newbies.......this has given me my life back.

10. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

John, I have a question:

Is it at all possible that your regimen might offer some serious help to those with MS?

I ask because I have friends with MS who have similar symptoms to MM--but without the hearing loss.

I believe they diagnose MS based on brain lesions--but again, MS is a syndrome, and those lesions are a symptom--and they have been shown to be caused by other things, including migraines and gluten reaction.

Sorry I'm meandering--I'm really, really tired, but wanted to get this off to you tonight.

Isn't it possible that the one of the herpes viruses, dormant in a spinal nerve, could be reactivated and affect the brain, causing MS symptoms, just as it can cause MM symptoms? If it's a nerve that goes all the way into the brain, would that be enough to make the difference between those of us who have neuro symptoms and those who don't?

When I had shingles, it was in the nerve that went from the back of my skull all the way down my arm to my hand, with the worst of the pain and vesicles being on my neck and shoulder. But most people get shingles on their trunk--along a nerve pathway that doesn't go up to the head.

Can herpes viruses cross the blood/brain barrier? Can the varicella virus reactivate without one's having shingles first?

Thanks so much (again)!

11. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Taximom,

No, I doubt that my Meniere's regimen would be of much help for someone with multiple sclerosis.

The root cause of MS is, like Meniere's, regarded as idopathic. But it, too, may be caused by a nerve-infecting virus, but probably not one of the many herpes viruses.

I'm rather certain that herpes viruses can cross the blood/brain barrier. I'm not certain about varicella virus reactivation processes.

But here's a very important matter regarding MS. This disease is very rare in tropical parts of the world, even among the poorest. But in the highest latitutes, Europe, Canada, and Russia, MS is markedly more frequent. In fact, MS occurance relates strongly to latitude. Those in equatorial, low latitudes seldom get this disease, and those in the highest latitudes are most susceptable. That can (and does) mean only one thing. Exposure to direct sunlight prevents the disease. At high latitudes people get insufficient sunlight, and they are much more likely to get MS.

The fulcrum factor is not sunlight. It's vitamin D. There is also a seasonal aspect to the onset of MS. More people come down with it in winter than in summer. That's but another indication that sunlight is the factor, and sunlight, when strong enough (only in the summer in northern latitudes), hits the bare skin with sufficient energy to synthesize vitamin D.

In short, everyone with MS should have their vitamin D level checked, and in virtually every case it will be discovered that the person is at the low, or very low end of vitamin D ranges. The person should be taking at least 4000 (not 400) IU of vitamin D3 each day.

Do a Google search on vitamin D and MS. There will be lots of information on this.

After one acquires MS, elevated vitamin D may not cure the disease. But it can help suppress its progression.

--John of Ohio

12. newflady

newflady New Member

hi John,
    Been on the regimen for 3 months and until last week was symptom free. This week (big stress week) (daughter got married we had a month to prepare and my son is going off to boot camp on Tuesday) I had a drop attack in Walmart, luckily my Mom was there, and then off and on with vertigo for a week. I can't seem to get back on track and am spending the week on the couch after tripping on the Shih-Tzu. My equilibrium and hearing not so good. Had to cancel our insurance, no construction work to speak of. No worries about the dog she weathered it fine, I got a little bumped up. Sorry I missed the get together at Gardenfishs'. I really wish I could of been there. Really wanted to meet you all, any suggestions anyone?

13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Newflady,

Three months on the regimen often isn't long enough to gain full control of the disease. Stay with the regimen for at least six months, to see how succssfull it will be.

Keep us posted.

--John of Ohio

14. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

Newflady, I have been on now for almost 3 months now. I had just two days of relatively mild symptoms about 5 weeks ago, exactly at the time I got some devastating family news. I do believe stress has a huge roll in triggering these symptoms. The symptoms themselves cause stress, then compounding the issue, sort of a snowball effect. Sometimes i find my self very stressed at work & I feel a momentary 'fluttering' type feeling in my ear. It's stressful times where I also notice excessive tinnitus. I have chosen to just treat it like a warning sign, that I need to chill out. It really works! i schedule regular massages & chiro, two things that really make me feel good. I also notice that there is still a three week cycle, but instead of extreme symptoms, I just get fluctuating tinnitus. i can handle that! I am ecstatic with my response to this this regimen, it's been a long time since i have been able to focus on the good things in life. It's also been a long time since I've been able to enjoy playing piano without an ear plug & screaming tinnitus/hyperacusis. I am thankful : )

15. newflady

newflady New Member

Thanks,
    I did have a series of stressful situations. I will stay with the reimen since it is still the longest I have sustained without an attack, I wish I was having the same luck with the tinnitus although the pounding tinnitus is almost gone. Glad to hear you are doing so well!

16. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

you may want to try raising your lysine dosage, you can safely take up to 2000mg / day for 10 days during symptomatic periods. Try adding the grape seed extract too, there are some who have had great results using this alone. I use Proflavanol 90 by USANA once daily.
    I also take time released niacin, which is great for circulation, & Red Marine Algae & Resveratrol, both of which which have been proven effective treating viruses.
    Hang in there, Joe

17. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

3000 mgs of lysine per day is recommended, and very, very safe. Take 1000 mgs upon arising, 20 min before breakfast. In mid-afternoon, at least 2 hr after lunch, take another 1000 mgs, and finally, upon retiring, at least 2 hr after supper, take a final 1000 mgs.

It can take 3000 mgs or more of lysine to suppress herpes virus replication. It's best to take lysine without food.

And it can take many weeks, up to 4 to 6 months, before the virus becomes suppressed and no longer active. One must be persistent.

--John of Ohio