A special child...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by karenlr, Aug 30, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. karenlr

karenlr New Member

When my son was born there were many that said "we are so sorry", you see so many see children like Joshua as broken or damaged or just not right or "normal".
    I see Joshua as Joshua, just exactly what God intended him to be. He is a wonderful loving child who, sometimes, like this morning comes into my room, takes my face in his little hands and gives me a big kiss just because. I've watched him work a smile out of someone in a bad mood, (he didn't even know them) and give hugs to anyone who he felt needed them. He loves chocolate and bananas and when he hears music he likes will sing at the top of his little lungs and dance with the greatest joy you have ever seen. Not so many years ago children like him were put away in places where they were "cared for" out of sight. Yes some days are tough, but we pull thru
    with prayer and love for each other. It's the best we can do, would I trade him in for a "normal kid" NO WAY! He's a part of me and God made him special, and put him in my life to teach me lessons no one else could.

2. Daize

Daize New Member

Karen ~~ Joshua is special gift. I know what you mean. My sister Nancy, her 15 year old son, is special and if it weren't for her love, persistance, patience, he would be in a home for children. I do not want to go into what is wrong with him, he has made so many very gigantic strides. He is loving, kind, compassionate, and is loved dearly.

Joshua and my nephew are special children who are loved so much. Blessings to Joshua.

Ruth

3. pardonme

pardonme Guest

4. chill1479

chill1479 New Member

How much better the world would be if we were all more like Joshua! God has blessed many of us with these special angels. I wouldn't trade the 9 months I had with mine for anything in the world. Thank you for sharing Karen. So happy that you see the blessing you have :)

5. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Very nice Karen; but if you could would you explain the situation with your child because I don't think I ever read the whole story if you've ever told it.

6. jabber

jabber New Member

We have pretty well raised our 21 yr. old "Special" grandson, it's been a long road and sometimes a tough road with frustrations and exasperations but we wouldn't trade him for anything. He and his Mom moved out on their own a few years ago, he's become a "city boy" now, can find his way around the city on his own and does.. He has never been in any kind of trouble with the law, has seen what alcohol and drugs can do to people and he detests it all.. For that, we are extremely thankful..
    We've spent a good many years with Special Olympics and these kids are just that-- very very special people that want nothing more out of life than to be accepted and loved..
    You have indeed been given a special gift Karen, one that will teach you things that nobody else will ever be able to.. Enjoy that boy
    Loretta

7. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Joshua is Down Syndrome or Trisome 21. He's a smart little guy with a big smile and a warm heart, who can figure out how to make you laugh in a heartbeat.

8. Perses

Perses Guest

Beautiful post Karen. God bless you and little Joshua! :)

9. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Ohhh ok; and yes Downs Syndrome children or adults are very loving and friendly people, and we grew up with a boy named Eric down the street that had it and he was a sweet kid and very innocent.

10. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I always heard special children and I mean "special" in a good way are given to Wonderful Parents for a reason. God has Blessed you and your husband twice with one child!

11. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

My friend recently gave birth to a Downs Syndrome child. Oh, he is such a joy. That little tyke is cute, chubby, and always laughing and smiling.

12. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Life with a Down's child is both a joy and a roller coaster ride at the same time. There is so much about these wonderful children/adults, we have to stay alert as parents to things like heart problems (Joshua had open heart surgery at just over 2 years old) and Lukemia. You learn to take each day
    as it comes and each challenge as you come to it. Another thing that is so different is when something clicks and they learn something you rejoice so
    much more than you would any other child because you know how much harder it was for them to get to that point. Tell your friend to get an instructional book on how to sign, Joshua uses both spoken words and sign to communicate.

13. Daize

Daize New Member

God Bless Joshua.

BTW Karen, my nephew is not down syndrome, he has ADHD, OCD, and mental illness, however, he has made very big strides and has an excellent team of doctors, social advocate, and my sister is a great loving mother. Her husband is a good father, but, has and still does have difficult time accepting this, but, my nephew knows his dad loves him which is so important.

I have a friend who sister is 50 and down syndrome and the family love is strong.

God Bless you and Joshua.