A Review of the Pathophysiology of Meniere's Disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by cheese, Oct 20, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cheese

cheese New Member

http://www.pinpointmedical.com/ent_news/article_archive/otology/MA04%20A%20Review%20of%20the.pdf

Just thought some might be interested in this Prof Gibson article.

He explains the current theorys of the vertigo attacks in meniere's and debates them with recent findings. Sorry if it's a bit boring. :-\

2. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Thanks Cheese...very interesting, didn't find it boring at all....LOL

3. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

thanks! for the posting

4. SMC

SMC Look for the footprints in the sand......

Hey we can never be armed with too much information. Thanks for taking the time.
    hugs
    SherryC

5. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

Not boring at all cheese--if I didn't have MM it might be--had to read parts twice to get it (sort of), but I think the doc did a good job of putting it in language that wasn't too technical

also, still tells us that nobody knows for sure exactly what is causing our malady, although theories abound

thanks for posting

6. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I didn't find it boring either. It was a good refresher.

7. Bergie

Bergie New Member

I found it interesting too...lots of theories, you would think by now though..that "they" would KNOW definitely!
    I think we are closer then ever to finding out exactly what is going on....and hopefully soon they will come up with a cure or even preventative meds.
    Thanks for the article!! :)

8. cheese

cheese New Member

lol ...glad you didnt find it boring. It's a sad state of affairs, but research articles like these are actually enjoyable to the point fun for me these days. .....I really need to get out more :D

9. cheese

cheese New Member

Some good stuff in there though. I never knew the sac wasn't a sac.

I also like the drainage theory ...It makes perfect sense to me.

I suppose if you compare Dr House's paper that is in the database, to this one, it is good to see that progress is being made. Alot of those 1970's theorys that House mentioned seem to have been slightly debunked, which can only be good news because it means they're getting closer.

I was reading on pubmed not long ago that with a new MRI machine that they're developing they were able to view parts of the vestibular that have been previously impossible to see. I think that once they develop this technology, and are able to see in live specimens what is actually happening, the treatments and causes will start snowballing. Hopefully it's not too far away.

10. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Do you really think in our life time? perhaps that's what Van Gogh thought too............................

11. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

Negativaty gets us nowhere. Before Prosper Meniere came around, MM was thought to be brain apoplexy.

12. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Yes.......and they put people like us in asylums.

13. jim1884again

sometimes an asylum sounds good Linda!

Cheese--my doc is always talking about the fact that imaging is really difficult except for post mortem (dizziness ain't a problem then)--would be good if they could develop a new way to actually get a better picture about what is happening

in our lifetime??
    guess that depends on how old you are and how long you live

14. cheese

cheese New Member

Jim ...I keep hearing the same thing aswell.

I have no idea what a "3D - Flair" MRI is, and how it differs from normal MRI, but by using it they are starting to be able to detect fluids within the cochlea. I hope that when they further refine it, they will be able to get a clearer picture.(From doing a quick search, it creates a 3D replica of what it is scanning.)

[​IMG]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16267664&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16995963&query_hl=5&itool=pubmed_docsum

15. sotko

sotko New Member

I also found this link a few weeks ago...

http://www.abc.com.au/science/news/stories/2006/1734481.htm?health

16. cheese

cheese New Member

Great link sotko, thats pretty amazing.

17. jim1884again

yes--cheese and sotko--neat links--we might bump this a time or two the next day or so to make sure lots of folks see this--could be promising, especially for the younger MMers since pure research often takes years to reach practical application on a large scale

18. cheese

cheese New Member

I agree on the bump Jim........For those that missed sotko's link ...here it is again

http://www.abc.com.au/science/news/stories/2006/1734481.htm?health

This is massive news IMO ....I'd really love to know just how much radiation they had to pump into this Guinea Pig to get such a clear picture. Maybe the microscope technique doesn't require as much radiation though. It probably deserves its own thread so it doesnt get lost in the wash.

19. cheese

cheese New Member

Bump for any new members that might be interested

This PDF gives a good overview of the current theories of how the vertigo attacks in meniere's come about....

http://www.pinpointmedical.com/ent_news/article_archive/otology/MA04%20A%20Review%20of%20the.pdf