A question about ancient texts

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by June-, Nov 11, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

Does anyone have a recommendation on a compilation of old writings that are available in an easy to read translation? I am thinking of writings that are contemporary to either testament of the Bible.

The dead sea scrolls might be an example. I would be interested whether or not they were spiritual in content or whether or not they came from Israel and surrounding areas.

2. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

I thought I read just the other day that the Dead Sea Scrolls are now available on-line. Let me see if I can dig up the link for you.

3. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

4. June-

June- New Member

thanks, that is interesting

5. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

June

The Dead Sea Scrolls are the original writings from which we get our Bible. There were other scrolls many years ago when the Bible was first translated to Greek(Septuigant) and Latin. Then many years later we have the Bible translated into many languages including English.

These scrolls were believed to be one of a number of copies of writings which were used for the Bible all those many years ago. Many scrolls were lost over the years so this is the most wonderful recent archelogical find.

You don't just get scrolls that are Bibical, there are some other ancient Jewish writings in amongst them. Writings that were written during the time of the second Temple and some what they call prophetic writings as well.

6. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

Now there are a number of books available in English that compliment the Bible historically. The Macabees and The Writings of Josephus. Both give extra historical accounts that support the Bible.

If you want to get a better understanding of scripture you have many free Bible Commentaries available on the Internet. I have a few commentaries in book form at home so I can't recommend a Free Online website, maybe someone else here has a recommendation.

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

8. karenlr

karenlr New Member

hollymm have you heard of Josephus excuse the lousy spelling! He was a historian during bibllical times. I would like to find a copy of his writings, I think they might fill in some of the historical gaps in my knowledge of that time period.