2.7 trillion medical bill

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Jun 3, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

We got a tax break this year on our premiums, first time ever. It wasn't much, but it helped.

2. June-

June- New Member

It doesnt go into full effect til 2014 which probably means you wont see it til you do your taxes for 2014 in early 2015. I hope you get a break. I saw a chart somewhere but now i forget where it was.

3. June-

June- New Member

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2013/05/07/the-obamacare-subsidy-you-could-be-missing

This is a california site calculator http://www.coveredca.com/calculating_the_cost.html

The medicaid portion only applies in states that accepted that so it depends on where you live, so if you are not in CA that might be true for you.

These are just rough calculations, i would not count on them to be accurate but it gives the flavor of it.

We will know a lot more in six months.

4. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

That's good information. Thanks, June.

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Ok June,
    Here is comes, all businesses must be run efficiently to stay in business, private business is held accountable by their customers and if the customer feels they are getting the short end of the stick they stop using that particular company and they go out of business. The Gov't does not have to answer to anybody and is not held accountable, if it was we would not be having the problems with social security, postal service ect..... and them running billion dollar deficits.

I own funeral homes, if I was the only funeral home in the community I could charge whatever I want and abuse my power but since we have something called COMPETITION and CCAPITALISM other funral home come into the community to try and do it better. Better quality, lower prices ext...... It forces companies to keep be run efficient and productively. If they are not, somebody will take their customers if they do a better job.

The same example can be applied to any business, grocery stores, pizza parlors, ext.......

Now let's look at gov't programs such as postal service or public schools or any of them: They answer to nobody and run deficits beyond comprehension. If the postal service was a private business such as fed-ex or ups, they would be out of business. How can fed-ex and ups turn profits for shareholders and make money and do it for less than the postal service, because they are held accountable.

The same with public schools, the debt these districts are in is astounding, yet the gov't spends more per student than 95% of private schools an the results are horrific as the average public school graduate reads on a 6 th grade level. A private school spends much less than per child and makes a profit and some would argue does a better job of educating students.

Competition keeps prices low and forces private businesses to be held accountable and efficient if not they go out of business. People vote with their pocketbooks: I go to Costco to get my pizza and hot dog for lunch because they do it better than the other guy for me. (cost, efficiency and customer service). I go to get my drivers license renewed and there is a a line out the door, 2 people helping 300 people, customer service sucks but you have no choice as it is gov't controlled and I can't go anywhere else.

6. June-

June- New Member

Bulldogs, i have worked for lots of big businesses and they are far from efficient. Sometimes they can get away with it because their commodity is temporarily so much in demand that there is room for sloppiness. Eventually, yes it catches up with them but that can take decades. Even then,mthere is that wonderful chapter 11. Your business is small so if you go belly up you pay the price generally speaking although in many states mansions can be shielded from bankruptcy. But in the case of large corporations, they are not run by the founders or owners and labor and management alike milk the cow til they bleed it dry. I have seen it more than once. When the economy is roaring, they proudly take credit for a profit, when times are hard, it's all the fault of labor or the economy or whatever else they can think of to blame it on. The final crutch is outsourcing. Managers who have no idea how to run a department or a business try this hail Mary. And dont you know, there are legions of incompetent thieves only to happy to promise the world and hire a bunch of min wage workers to pretend they know what they are doing. The chickens come home to roost eventually, but a giant corporation can coast for decades before the market cuts them down. There is a great deal of this happening in the US now. It would make the founders of these industrial giants dies, but they arent around anymore. These corps are in the hands, many times, of incompetent hired hands.

7. June-

June- New Member

Seriously, BD, these big corps are more like gov than gov and bear no resemblance to mom and pop businesses, that is just chamber of commerce bs.

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

June,

You know I love ya!

My first day at Goldman a really smart man once told me.

"joe, only invest in a business an idiot can run, because one day an idiot will run it".

I asked give me a good company to park my money and not worry. He said "Coca Cola, your great grandparents drank it and your great grandchildren will do the same no matter what happens in the world economically or politically".

I have remembered that statement and conversation my entire life.

Talk soon
    Just having a good conversation with you! We both want the same result, just our method/belief about going about it differs!

9. June-

June- New Member

Chk this out, BD.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/12/politics/nsa-leak/index.html