The Wit and Wisdom of My Buddy, Spence

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Henrysullivan, May 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Some of you might remember a few months ago when I posted my eulogy to my good buddy, Spence. That eulogy can be found here:

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,20584.0.html

Spence was mentally challenged, but he was gifted in so many other ways, the most profound of which one would discover in the life lessons he would teach those around him, without even knowing that he was doing so. That was the subject of my eulogy, to try to convey to the folks who came to his funeral a sense of the Spence I had known for 50 years, and the profound life lessons he taught me.

Here's a shot of Spence with Winde taken at Epcot. Spence loved Epcot.

[​IMG]

And here's a shot of Spence and me on deck during his Disney cruise. That was the one thing he wanted to do that he had not had the chance. So a month before he died, he was cruisin' to the Bahama's.

[​IMG]

Anyway, Spence's brother recently uncovered a notebook written by Spence, within the pages of which Spence wrote down some thoughts that were special to him. I do not know where he came up with these thoughts and sayings. I expect that some of them he saw on certain church placards and he must of pulled off the side of the road and written them down when they struck his fancy. But for the next few weeks, I plan to give you one of these thoughts Spence had a special feeling about, enough to write them down. There are about 40 or so of them. Comment in between if you wish. But each day, lest I forget, I will give you another from Spence's special collection. I expect that many of you will be affected in some postive manner by Spence's choices.

So without further adieu, exactly as Spence wrote them, the first:

"In this World
    There Are Givers and Takers
    The Takers Eat Better
    The Givers Sleep Better."

I can tell you with certainty; Spence slept very well.

2. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

And at second glance, there are probably 200 of these. So this thread will be alive for awhile.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

I LOVE THIS THREAD, HANK!!!!

What an uplifting tribute to Spence. Keep them coming.

4. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Me too Hank, what a lovely man he was :)

5. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

"Encouragement is oxygen to the soul"

6. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Ohhh I remember you talking about good ole Spence... What a guy...

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Yes, Carolyn. He was quite a guy, simple essence of goodness. Finding this notebook is like finding some hidden manuscript by your departed, favorite author. What a gift. Whereas Spence found it difficult to put words together well when speaking, these sayings give us a glimpse into this very gentle, quiet sole, a gentle giant. One of his brothers said that maybe all these years we didn't give Spence enough credit. I know he is right. These sayings he placed into a notebook for his own edification, no one else's. For that reason, when we read them we can know exactly what was in his heart. You know exactly who he was, no pretense. I hope you enjoy them.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

Very touching tribute to Spence. Thanks for including us Hank. I look forward to hearing more.

9. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

We have all the time we need
    To do all the things
    God intends we do this year.

I suppose the challenge Spence presents, is for us to get after those things God intends, and do them.

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

"What We Worship
    Determines
    What we Become."

Whoa! So true! When we worship only self-interest, we become interested in only ourselves. Thanks for that one, buddy.

11. cynthia

cynthia I hope to shed this body for a better one some day

I don't see anywhere in his collection so far of sayings, and writings where Spence was brain challenged in any way! What wisdom! What inner beauty of the soul! What a tribute to a man worth remembering.

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I would have like to known Spence.

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

We sure miss the Big S.

14. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

God Gives Us discernment
    That We May
    Not Criticize
    But Intercede.

I never hear Spence criticize anyone. But his entire life, folks were critical of him.

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

To Sensible People
    Every Day
    Is A Day
    Of Reckoning

16. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

It ought to be
    as habitual
    For us to thank
    as to ask.

17. tm53

tm53 New Member

Hank as I read just 6 of these I'm thinking this should go self-published and perhaps his family could benefit from the revenues.

18. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

That's very nice of you to say. I will let them know your thoughts.

Since there are many of these, I'll be doing this for a while. I was going to wait until the end to divulge his epitath. But I'll do it here. It reads:

"He helped all of those who knew him, or knew of him, to be better people."

Everyone who reads these will be helped to be a better person. That is his legacy.

Thanks for your comment.

Hank

19. tm53

tm53 New Member

IMHO if the rest read like these, the readers would also benefit for the writing.
    You've already written the prologue, it's at the start of the thread.

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jesus Christ
    Paid a debt
    He did not owe
    Because we owed a debt
    We could not pay.