John of Ohio

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sholly, Jun 6, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

You are obviously not familiar with American tort law and medical practice insurance policies. Practitioners cannot simply conduct their own medical trials. Both of these gentlemen would lose their medical practice insurance at the first hint that they were prescribing for half their MM patients a treatment protocol from some obscure layman off the street.

Any other suggestions?

--John of Ohio

2. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Hello John,

I have no knowledge of how to lobby for research funding, but I'm sure that somebody does. Why don't you approach the MD Research Team in Sydney for some guidelines? Short of that, why don't we use some of the expertise on this forum to organise even some basic testing.

Why don't you deidentify your responses and publish them, so everyone can see the numbers involved and a possible way to attack a trial?

Cheers,

Chris

3. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

If everyone just took these vitamins dr would never have to do gent, shunts, vns and laby's

Maybe that is why they don't want to recommend the joh regime, they could not make a living.

4. jaypr

jaypr New Member

I am lucky Chris, that I found this great forum including JOH.

Bulldogs I have tried several times to get anti virals from several doctors. I have taken reports from this forum to back up the request.The doctors just sit on the fence frightened to prescribe for fear of being sued or the antivirals are expensive and would deplete their budget.

As I've been taking the llysine for so long it protects me against the violent vertigo attacks I used to have. The reason I would try acyclovir or famvir would be to try and improve my 80% hearing loss in my left ear. I doubt if it would but I'd like to give it a try. Probably end up ordering antivirals from the internet as I am done battling with the doctors over a prescription.

Frank

5. Jordan

Jordan New Member

I am totally perplexed by some of the posts here. JOH's regimen is largely based on the idea that Meniere's is caused by a virus, hence the L-Lysine component. Prominent researchers at the House Clinic and elsewhere also believe this and treat patients accordingly with antiviral medication, while our Aussie friends doing research are also leaning towards the belief that Meniere's is very often caused by a virus. Now, I have already stated that I do not believe that every component of JOH's regimen is necessary. HOWEVER, to argue against JOH is to argue against the viral theory. Why are some people here arguing against JOH but simultaneously saying that they believe Meniere's may be viral? Why are some people saying that if you found out that your Meniere's is viral, you did not actually have Meniere's, but then say they believe there is merit in the viral theory? Totally perplexing! So, what did people like JOH "really" have before they went into remission?

If people want to wait until the research "proves" that Meniere's is viral, they are in for a long wait. Let the researchers do their work, but in the meantime, the easiest way to find out if your case is viral is to take the relevant medication for a set period of time.

6. Angelea

Angelea New Member

The very first problem with studying MM and any potential treatments is ensuring that every study subject has the correct diagnosis and same cause. To borrow again from Shakespeare via ChrisJ, "that is the rub."

There have been a ton of people who have come to this site having been diagnosed with MM often by more than one doctor only to learn from the forum that they have something that more resembles MAV or other migraine-type condition. I would not be surprised if the relatively low success rates to various MM treatments found in studies is due to this factor?

Until the cause(s) of MM can be understood and differentiated, it is nearly impossible to know for sure if study results are truly accurate. Brings us back to needing to understand the basic physiology of the disordered ear.

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

What does he claim, I read 87% somewhere.

So he cures approx 9 out of 10.

I pull for just don't know if his statistics are accurate or how he gets them. I recommend everyone try the regime, but to boast about a 87-90% suscess rate all over the Internet, opens someone up to some scrutiny.

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Chris,

As it happens, I have already emailed a complete copy of my 126-page document of over 225 email regimen user accounts to the Sydney research people. I have offered to cooperate in any way in a clinical trial of the regimen.

But clearly, the Sydney research effort is focused on elemental vestibular physiology and dysfunction, not the conduct of clincial efficacy trials of new, alternative MM treatments.

--John of Ohio

9. chrisj

chrisj Guest

That's the cloudy issue. What is a 'set' period of time? If somebody takes JOH's regimen, or megadoses C for nine or ten months without result, then suddenly finds relief, is it the treatment, or is it remission?

10. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

John posted links last year to www.vitamindcouncil.org. They make some very convincing arguments there for vitamin D deficiency being behind MANY conditions that affect some but not others, like autoimmune conditions (I was told by my endocrinologist that shingles qualifies as autoimmune, but am fuzzy on that, as I'd thought it was a simple viral reactivation) and even vaccine reactions.

Anyway, you've seen me spout off on B12 deficiency, autoimmune thyroid disease, and celiac countless times, not to mention vaccines.

Get this: Vitamin D deficiency can trigger celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease.

Celiac disease can cause B12 deficiency directly, and it also can cause acid reflux, which results in the patient being put on acid blockers--which cause B12 deficiency.

D deficiency depletes glutathione--which is necessary to excrete heavy metals like mercury and aluminum (both of which are present in vaccines in potentially toxic amounts).

D deficiency is also linked with MS--symptoms of which overlap symptoms of MM.

Is D deficiency the one and only cause of all our problems? I seriously doubt it. But I think it's a pretty strong factor.

Even those of us who live in sunny areas either stay indoors all the time, or slather on sunblock. We don't get much vitamin D from diet--the vitamin D added to milk is D2, which we don't absorb well. And look at the rates of autoimmune disorders like MS, thyroid, and MM in places like the Pacific Northwest, the UK, and Canada, where people get very little sunlight. (Although I have to admit I am stumped why people in Australia seem to be getting more of these autoimmune disorders, if it's so sunny there, unless they are all slathering on sunblock...)

Sorry I'm rambling, I'm VERY very tired!

11. chrisj

chrisj Guest

That's a start, John.

Why don't you now open your results to this and other forums, to maybe brainstorm a trial approach. This falls short of clinical testing, but it would sift the anecdotal evidence, somewhat.

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

"So he cures approx 9 out of 10."

I have never, ever made such a claim. My regimen has never cured anyone. It is an on-going treatment that supresses Meniere's-causing herpes viruses and enhances the health of the affected inner ear. When the regimen is terminated, the viruses can return to activity and the symptoms can return. That's not a cure, by any definition, any more than insulin is a cure for diabetes.

--John of Ohio

13. chrisj

chrisj Guest

It is not illogical to suspect a particular cause, yet doubt the efficacy of a proposed 'treatment'.

Edit - And that's not for you, Intrepid. I meant to quote Jordan.

14. Angelea

Angelea New Member

I hope you do not mean me when you say some here seem to be against JOH, yet don't disagree with the viral theory. I can see how that might be the conclusion.

For the record, I agree with JOH. What I am skeptical about, among other things, is when I buy a supplement, there is little reassurance that what I am buying actually contains enough of the active ingredient to be effective. In other words, tests have shown that the label may state that each pill contains 1000 mg of xyz yet when the pills are tested by independent labs they are found to contain only 500 mg per pill.

So if I take the regimen and I don't get a positive result, is it because it really won't work for me or because I wasn't getting as much of the active ingredient as I thought I was?

I ranted about this somewhere toward the top of this thread, but in more detail. Will spare you all the boring details again. :-D

If anything I have written seems contradictory, please don't hesitate to direct questions to me. I am happy to clarify and even admit I am wrong if my logic is not, well, logical.

But maybe it was about someone else and now I am looking like an idiot! :-[

15. chrisj

chrisj Guest

I think I was the target there, Angelea! ;D

My position above.

16. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Sorry to steal your thunder, Chris! Lol!

17. Jordan

Jordan New Member

I think you will know if you are getting some relief from the treatment. Antivirals worked very quickly for my husband. It is not, however, that you suddenly wake up one day and feel that you are cured. Rather, you experience an upward trend where symptoms gradually disappear. Dr. Gacek suggested to me that my husband take the medication for a month and then continue if there was ANY improvement, no matter how slight. After the month was up, he was feeling so much better that he knew he should continue.

JOH suggests at least 6 months for the L-Lysine to fully kick in, but I presume that you do not feel miserable the whole 6 months long and then suddenly wake up feeling fine. As with the antivirals, it is probably a gradual but noticeable upward trend.

18. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Jordan:

I am just curious, do doctors in that part of the world freely provide antivirals to mm sufferers.

Where do you get your acyclovir? I am assuming from your dr.

Just curious how medicine works in that partnof the world.

19. Jordan

Jordan New Member

No, Angelea, I was not specifically directing my thoughts at you. I feel you are quite knowledgeable about many topics and always try to be balanced in your replies.

As I have shared previously, I have my own concerns about unregulated vitamins and supplements and believe that prescription antivirals are likely the "safer" choice. I say this even though my husband takes L-Lysine and benefits from it. He is not, however, the type of person to take 20-plus pills on a daily basis, although he probably would if he knew that it would keep the Meniere's away. Just like anything in life, you don't know what you will do in a particular situation until you actually experience it.

20. Jordan

Jordan New Member

I would also think that the sooner you take them, the better--before too much damage is done to the vestibular system.