NUCCA -- IT DOENS'T WORK, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by smaapark, Apr 26, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

I got to thinking about all of this and finally found my silver lining in this dispute. In light of all the recent tragic events that make me scared for humanity (like Virginia Tech), I have been a little depressed and have been having a hard time seeing the "good" in people. When I first read this thread, it just confirmed my fears about people. Then, I stopped to think....
    I am pretty impressed with some of you who have been able to immediately give this person "smaapark" a closer look and to say, maybe this person needs help. That's a kind heart and unfortunately for me not something I'm good at doing. We need people like "cheese" who can look at the other side of the coin. Now I am not condoning that smaapark resorting to namecalling. He or she (can't remember) owes Hank an apology for sure.
    I am also impressed with how many of you have used humor instead of anger to deal with this. I'm also impressed at how well many of you have reacted when somone has disagreed with you. The majority of posters have handled it with maturity and respect.
    I know I'm not making sense but just wanted you to know that in a strange way, this thread has given me some more faith in humanity. Ironic, eh?
    Nicki

2. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Adri, you are wise beyond words and set an admirable example.
    Hank

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Sotko, I am gratified to read how well you are doing. I will add your name to the list of those to whom I will extend apologies. :)

Hank

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jackie, you are a wonderful example. I too have sympathy for this fellow and at the same time I do not condone him. The sad thing is that he still may be able to be helped if he would stay the course. It's hard to predict.

You are an inspiration and I am glad you are doing better.

And thanks for the support.

Hank

5. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

However they did it, it was amazing! Thanks for the explanation.

Hank

6. pardonme

pardonme Guest

7. Mnme

Mnme Guest

On my way back to health, I used to get so buffeted about by my up and down days (inevitably, after a good day, a 'bad' one felt ten times worse!), that I set up a daily, weekly and monthly chart of my symptoms to plot my progress. I started this about 5 years ago. The daily records seemed to have no direction - the weekly ones a little - the monthly ones noticeable improvement. But it was reflecting over a YEAR, that the results were simply stunning. It is SO easy to miss progress in my opinion, if we look for quick fixes.

But there is nothing more important than quality of life, so as I see it, striving for this deserves our greatest effort (assuming we are unhappy with our current situation). With severe suffering, I found the key was to focus on 'positives' leading to how I would feel the next YEAR rather than the next day ... long term goals, doing all I could to get there. Next year is here before we know it.

Lee.

8. goldie

goldie me and joshua

I'VE BEEN READING THIS ALL THE WAY TO THE END.WE COME HERE BECAUSE WE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT KNOW HOW THIS MM FEELS AND AFFECTS US ALL IN DIFFERANT DEGREES.
    I KNOW THAT GUY THAT STARTED THIS CAME ON PRETTY STRONG. I COULD FEEL HIS ANGER AND EMOTIONS OVER ALL THAT HE'S BEEN THUR AND FOR HIM RIGHT NOW ALL HE HAS IS HIS ANGER.
    PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP KEEP TRYING TO FIND WAYS TO LESSON THE EFFECTS. SOMETIMES WE GET SO DEPRESSED AND ANGRY.TIRED OF FEELING IT, TALKING ABOUT IT AND JUST WISHING IT WOULD GO AWAY AND LET US HAVE OUR LIFE'S BACK BEFORE THIS CAME UPON US.
    I HAD A THREE MONTH BREAK FROM THE VERTIGO AND I'M PRAISING GOD FOR THAT TIME. I'LL KEEP LOOKING FOR WAYS TO HELP MYSELF AND TO THE PERSON WHO STARTED THIS I'LL BE THINKING ABOUT YOU.TAKE CARE.

PAULA

9. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Amen.

10. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Nicki great post, Ill tell you one thing that you are great in, and that would be *reading between the lines*. A talent that many do not possess.

Be well / Larry

11. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

Thanks Larry! ;D

12. songbird

songbird New Member

Smaapark:

You said you have had Meniere's symptoms for 15 years? My NUCCA practitioner told me, up front, that it wasn't a cure. That the treatments had eased the symptoms of fullness, tinnitis and vertigo in other patients, yes, however everyone is different. She also told me - and I think this is important - that as a rule of thumb the treatments should last 1 month for every year you have had the symptoms. Consider that you quit too soon. The body is a wonderful instrument, yes, but it takes TIME to heal. And mine NEVER asked me to stop taking my meds, either.

In my own experience, I stopped having vertigo attacks after a few weeks of treatments. My tinnitis is slowly improving and the fullness is much easier to life with as a result of the treatments. I'm in my 3rd month, and going once every 2 weeks now as a result of holding the adjustment last Thursday. And I drive 2.5 hours each way to go to the NUCCA practitioner.

What didn't work for you, is working fo me and I'm glad for it. But then, you and I have a different state of mind, don't we?

Songbird.

13. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Amen

14. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Songbird...they are many very good people on this forum who are in a excellent state of mind and nothing has worked for them. I can name 5 people off the top of my head who are suffering every day from dx'd menieres or vestibular disorders. :'( :'(

15. cheese

cheese New Member

Exactly ....I found that comment very strange and a little bit insulting.

In any case, why would state of mind so heavily effect a treatment?? The only way state of mind would and could come into play is in a placebo sense. If your problem is upper cervical "subluxation", and nucca fixes this "subluxation", why should state of mind play any role in the matter?

Things either overwhelming work, or overwhelmingly fail. Lot's of grey matter is indicative of a placebo. And when we have to "will" something to work, it's even more indicative of a placebo.

Not that there's anything wrong with placebo wellness though.

16. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Toni, the efficacy of upper cervical therapy is difficult to disprove by anecdotal evidence such as citing the five people on this forum for which nothing has seemingly worked. As Songbird points out, the fellow that started this thread only went for treatments three months. But according to him, he had Meniere's for 15 years. That according to NUCCA would mean a 15-month course of treatments on average for him to recover. And who knows if this fellow ever even held his adjustment? He admitted that he was looking for a "quick fix." That's just not how this is going to work in many cases. I suppose he'll never really know if this could have worked for him. Furthermore, this fellows experience adds to the mounting evidence that upper cervical misalignment can indeed be the cause of Meniere's in many or most people. That is because once again a Meniere's sufferer goes to a chiropractor and is found substantially out of adjustment. Had he not been, the chiropractor would have had no reason to adjust him in the first place, certainly not a course that would last three months.

Regarding state of mind, I believe Songbird referred to a state of mind that was obvious to most readers. First, this man was beyond impatient. That is a result of a state of mind that would accept only, as he said, a "quick fix." Second, his state of mind was bent on blaming everyone else for his problems. That state of mind is a form of self-pity. No one has ever gotten better from such a state of mind. Third, this fellow would not allow civility to break his state of mind. I don't care who you are, or what your situation is, you've got to be nice to folks. Treat others as you would be treated. If your state of mind will not allow a certain civility toward others, others will not want to fight through that to help you. Nor will folks like this fellow be willing to accept help when offered.

Yes, I agree with Songbird; this man had a different state of mind than she does. The two in fact are at opposite ends of the spectrum. That is important because in some cases of chronic illness, attitude will be the deciding factor between success and failure. Chronic means long time. Whatever chronic illness you refer to, because it took a long time to develop, it will most likely take a long time to fix. This fellow seemed incapable of understanding that and that characteristic of his goes directly to his state of mind.

Finally, it seems interesting to me at this point of the discussion, that folks who once denied the efficacy of upper cervical chiropractic to treat Meniere’s were at that time denying the validity of supporting anecdotal chiropractic evidence as means to disprove it. But now we have an instance of someone using anecdotal evidence to try and prove their own case, prove the negative, prove that Meniere's is always idiopathic, prove that indeed nothing can work for folks. It seems to me that in that regard this discussion has shifted.

Hank

17. cheese

cheese New Member

"He was beyond impatien"

Wtf?

He dedicated 3 months of his life, and no doubt spent hundreds of dollars. Calling him impatient is tripe. If something is clearly not working, there has to be an exit point where you cut your losses. Three months is more than reasonable. Thats three months worth of weekly and lengthy transits to and from the office.

"His state of mind was broke for blaming others for his problems?!"

Lol wtf? ...classic quotes. [sarcasm]yes, that is no doubt the reason his treatment didn't work[/sarcasm]

"Third, this fellow would not allow civility to break his state of mind"

lol Wtf? .....So you're saying because he was rude to Henrysullivan from menieres.org this is the reason that his state of mind is bad, and that that is the reason his NUCCA didn't work?! Top theory that. Straight from a medical textbook no doubt?

You also might want to cut your list down to four. I don't take any pleasure in saying this, because I genuinely feel for anyone suffering this shithouse disease. But Milo was inquiring about VNS's the other day. I may be totally wrong and out of line here, but i'm not sure if he would do that if he was having continuing success from NUCCA.

Finally it seems hypocritcal that those who are extremely skeptical of NUCCA respectfully stay away from positive NUCCA threads, but the skeptics and those who didn't find success aren't afforded the same luxury from the NUCCA tribe. Instead ridiculous things such as impatience and 'state of mind' are blamed for their continuing illness.

18. nassman

nassman Guest

I totally agree with Cheese.

Hank, I have tried being patient and understanding of you, but your last message has really ticked me off.

How dare you question another man's state of mind, dedication to getting better, and overall character? How do you know ANYTHING about this man? You are judging him by a single post he made out of anger, frustration, and desperation.

This man did what my ultimate fear is: He took the "online" advice of a non-medical individual, spent lots of money, and came out in a worse physical state and with worse vestibular symptoms because of it. Are you going to take responsibility for this rather than blame this man's state of mind or dedication to getting better? Are you going to continue to throw the same "quack" explanation that since he suffered for 15 years, he will need a proportionate period of time with a NUCCA practicioner to get better? Who are you anyway? You are not an MD! All you do is repeat what you read on the net and what pro-NUCCA practicioners tell you.

Hank, you have crossed the line this time and I strongly believe you owe smaarpark an apology.

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Cheese, you and I are not only from different global hemispheres, we are from different hemisphere's of the mind. There is very little common ground between your outlook and mine. You speak plainly and I cannot understand you. I speak plainly and you cannot understand me. I wrote what I wrote. I meant what I wrote. You don't understand what I wrote. It is that simple. Maybe just read it again. Perhaps it will sink in by osmosis.

Always good to speak with "Cheese" on Menieres.org.

G'day,

Hank

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I'm sorry, Smaapark.
    Hank