Is evolution and a God a possibility?

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by Caribbean, Nov 14, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

All of my adult life I have believed in Evolution. So is the belief in Christ and evolution a possibility?

Larry

2. June-

June- New Member

Absolutely! Who but God could think up such a marvelous way of populating a planet?

3. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

evolution as I have been taught would make it very hard to believe in a creator, it is possible but as Intrepid says you have to start with Genesis One, In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth.. if you can believe that, it would be a big first step.

4. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm a big fan of the big theory as well.

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Woo oops, make that the big bang theory as well.
    I'm not quite used to this Blackberry yet!

6. June-

June- New Member

I wondered what the big theory was :D

I don't understand the big bang theory. I still wonder what came before that.

7. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Before this forum was purged, I posted about this in another thread. There is a famous paleontologist/philosopher, who also happens to have been a Jesuit priest, named Fr. Tailhard de Chardin. He wrote many books, articles and essays espousing that evolution is correct, while maintaining his Catholic beliefs.

8. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

I don't have a problem with the big bang, my questions would be who caused it and when?

9. June-

June- New Member

That's my question as well. Of course that is my question about God. Where'd he come from? What was before God? No matter how the beginning is explained, I have the same question. What was before that? I don't think the human mind can wrap itself around an absolute beginning of any kind. Not my mind anyway.

10. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

i don't think we are meant to know :) maybe all the theorising is part of the plan too.........i could read about evoloution for hours but my head would be spinning after

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I would say 'yes' but only if you disregard the creation story in Genesis. If there is a God then it makes sense that he/she can create anything, anyhow, any time. On the other hand, the Bible is supposed to be the word of God and it quite clearly says that God created Adam from dust and then Eve from his rib and only a few thousand years ago. That's not evolution.

12. June-

June- New Member

It seems like evolution to me. Is God not allowed to use metaphors to get the point across to a people who didn't have science class? To me that sounds like a way to say, the earth and all its inhabitants were created not all at once but in stages. Like say evolution. It's also a way to talk about all the wondrous things that are on the earth.

13. June-

June- New Member

They will have to come here and speak for themselves. I only speak for myself and the vast number who see it as metaphor.

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

God can use metahpors as much as he likes :). The ongoing questions I suppose is determining which parts of the Bible are, or are 'meant' to be read as metaphor and which are to be considered absolute truth. With regards to evolution/creation this is absolutely the case. There are plenty of 'creationist' Christians who do not believe in evolution, presumably because they take the Genesis story literally, rather than metaphorically.

Which leads into the other question of why did God choose to speak to whom he did, when he did - that is, to people who were ignorant (compared for example to these days) and illiterate.

15. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

I have a feeling this thread is becoming a discussion rather than spritual support specifically related to Meniere's....as such I will back out now.

16. June-

June- New Member

You hold up a straw man. Let the others speak for themselves, I cannot speak for them.

17. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

I love to hear devout Christians say this. To me, it allows for the possibility of very different kinds of truth, and it also answers Larry's question very succinctly if you think about it. I intrepret this in the same way I did the remark my college biology prof, a Christian, made about evolution versus creationism: "They are not incompatible at all". In the 35 years since I heard him make that remark, I have heard at least a dozen pastors say the same thing.

Your question, to me Larry, although asked by millions, has an implication that we can somehow use the scriptures to explain the operation of the physical universe. The way the physical world operates is not explained by religion--science is the how of things. Religion attempts to deal with the why and to me, that is infinitely more interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love science and reading about the big bang, but I don't expect that interest to provide me with the reason for my existence--I don't expect science (even psychology, my area) to provide me with meaning. My interest in those things may help me understand my life a little better, but the ultimate revelations about the human condition, so far, have been in the realm of philosophy and religion. Some would say those revelations are about the spirit, but I don't see my wording as contradicting that.

To return to Vic's remark, this is exactly how I see it--there was some physical event--most call it the Big Bang--that set things in motion, but all of this, all of what we know about the cosmos, to me, is the equivalent of a single grain of sand on the beach when compared to the Infinite--my word for how most simply to describe God. I don't think I or anybody else will ever understand completely how and why this was set into motion. We are here so briefly, but during that minute moment, religion makes an effort to help us make sense of it all--not by proving or disproving things with carbon 14 dating or new images of dead stars seen by the Hubble telescope, but by telling us there is something grander than even the billions/trillions of stars we call the known universe.

Incidentally, a couple of renown astrophysicists I have read say not only that they don't fully understand what set all this in motion, but that Genesis, a book written long before we had telescopes or sophisticated knowledge of the physical universe, explains the origins of the universe fairly well.

18. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

That was very interesting thanks Jim.

19. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Uhhhh ohhhh, here we go again and this is how it all started up last time. :eek:

20. June-

June- New Member

Relax, the thread is self-correcting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.