Pistachio Nuts

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Vicki615, Apr 19, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

If you remember I had that mild vertigo attack when I over indulged in eating walnuts and raisins, so I cut them out completely for a while and have been feeling great, MM wise. I find I could take a very small amount now and then and be okay.

Yesterday I bought a bag of pistachio nuts, omg I love them but haven't eaten any in about 2 years. I forgot myself and ate about 15 or 20 of them. I felt fine, no dizziness or anything until I was talking to my neighbor, we were in my living room she was on her way out so we were standing by the front door entrance in my house and all of a sudden I just fell forward, I didn't feel that strong push like I once did but if the archway wasn't there to grab onto I would have fell to the floor.

I looked up the arginine content and it was not high like walnuts but was definitely higher than the lysine in it.
    Lysine: 421mg Arginine: 742mg (based on levels per 200-Calorie serving)

Seems like nuts can really do me in. So now I have been limiting it to 5 pistachios and have been okay.

2. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

forgot to mention after I fell forward my ears were ringing off the hook :( I feel fine today though.

3. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

ugh...so no nuts either? i was going to add nuts to my diet since they are low salt (if you get unsalted kinds) and high calorie (to make up for all the other foods I am not eating).

guess i can't do that either? or do only some people react to arginine?

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I am not affected by them. Thank goodness.

Good to hear you are feeling better today.

5. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thank Intrepid and glad you are not affected by them.
    Bubbagump I would suggest try adding them slowly and see how you react if at all.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I only consume unsalted, unroasted ones.

7. ring

ring New Member

I added unsalted peanuts (ok a legume) and almonds to my diet. I needed to add something. I was getting so hungry at work, cutting back the sodium definitely reduced my calories.

8. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Vicki, sorry that you experienced the "shove". Definitely sucks that little bit more when it comes so unexpectedly. And while it is not great that you can't enjoy your nuts that you love, but at least you figured out the connection and know what to avoid.

Hope today is better!

9. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thanks nicmger, I had no dizziness or vertigo, just that one push and ringing then I was fine, but I definitely react to nuts for sure. I need to keep that in mind but it is sooo hard to eat just 5 pistachio nuts lol

10. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

I used to love nuts. All kinds. Since Menieres, I found myself not liking them. I now think maybe my body was telling me something. Of course, I am on a restricted diet anyway because I have to lose a lot of weight due to a problem with a severely pinched nerve or nerves in my left lower back. Fortunately, I love fish and fresh vegetables and fruit, because that is pretty much all I eat these days, along with poultry and egg whites. Well, except for my big "indulgence" at breakfast: a bowl of pure shredded wheat with a little honey, soy milk, and a sliced banana.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You could just have nut intolerance that has nothing to do with MM. I used to eat soy all the time and was a vegan for years. Now I can't go near that stuff in any form. I had MM back then and it was never a trigger but now it is.

It's good that you've identified something that doesn't agree with you :)

A good friend of mine ate avocados all her life and one fine day ended up in the ER because she blew up like the Michelin man due to avocado allergy. Just like that. Now she can't go near them at all.

12. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I might have developed an intolerance, but on all my allergy tests which are numerous (due to my shellfish allergy) it always comes back negative for all kinds of nuts, but I know sensitivities do not show up on allergy tests and one can get a false negative as well.

Next time I go to my allergist I will tell him about my reaction to walnuts and pistachio nuts and see if he wants to retest me.

13. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Hi Vicki!!! You must just really be sensitive to nuts! I'm sorry that happened to you!

I'm back here checking in after 3 wks w/ no vertigo and a MILD month before that, and none for months before that (except once when on antibiotics.).

Then out of the blue had a pretty bad attack (worst since being on AVs) Sat night and still am not right and feel like it could come at any time again. I bumped up to 3 pills of valacyclovir yesterday (even though I'm not supposed to) and took some Valium to get thru Easter. Going to take 3 today too but today will unfortunately have to be the last day of that since my doc doesn't want me taking that much. (my maintenance dose is 2 pills, which in itself is higher than most people)

I was tested last yr and found to have no allergies and have no symptoms this yr, but still wondering if it's somehow due to a spring allergy of some type because my kids started suffering this wk from theirs so it's pretty coincidental that I've been 7 months w/out feeling like this and then it started again right when their allergies started! I'm still eating very plain-all the same stuff-so I know it's not that.

Also hoping the AVs aren't wearing off for me :( If I get another bad attack, I'm going to schedule for a dex injection asap.

Anyway, wanted to catch up-stay away from the nuts! I haven't touched one since you told us about your last attack!

14. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Hiya Grace!!So good to hear from you. I am happy to hear you have been doing well but unhappy to hear about you attack, :(.
    A few things come to mind,

1.Yes allergies can cause setbacks for sure, even though we don't show up positive on tests, I know I have them and my test results are always negative and yes this time of the year is brutal for many with MM on or off AV's.
    2. Did you notice what you ate that day before the attack or the day before? anything new, different or different quantity?
    3. Many of us get a setback now and then, don't let it upset you too much, (I know that is a hard thing to do) try and figure out what you did or eat differently than you have been, it might give you a clue if it is not related to seasonal allergies.

Fingers crossed this was a 1 time setback and you get back to feeling fine soon!

15. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Yes, may be allergies! I keep a meticulous food diary on My Fitness Pal and didn't eat anything much different. No real variables I can think of.

If I was feeling better by today, I would think maybe it was a one-time setback, but since the attack Saturday, I have continued to feel very "off" and unwell, like an attack is impending at any time, much like I used to before the AVs.

Praying for you, as always, Vicki!

16. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

thanks grace same here for you! It sounds like allergies to me I throughout my life I called April My Vertigo month, w/o fail I would get vertigo attacks as soon as April came around. Thank God so far no vertigo attack this April, but I am on AV's a lot longer than you, and I found the longer I took them the better I felt. Hoping the same is for you!

17. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I meant to add don't panic due to the setback, my suggestion is to wait and see how you feel once the height of the spring allergy season subsides.

18. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Thanks, Vicki-it helps a LOT to know that!

Trying hard not to panic....

by the way, when you increase your AVs when sick, how many days do you do that for?

19. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I take 1 extra dose of 400mg of acyclovir until I feel completely over whatever I had (example sinusitis). I have decreased back to my maintenance dose before I felt completely better, and felt a bit unsteady, so now I wait until I feel completely normal and well before going back to 400 mg 2 times a day.

20. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

Thanks. I desperately want to increase for a longer term period of time but I am leery to do it since doc said not to (virus may get resistant) and therefore my husband thinks I shouldn't.

Definitely feeling it coming on today-just took some Valium to attempt to ward it off.

So if it is seasonal allergies and may last a little while, I should prbly get the dex injection to see if that can get me through it-it would be really hard to continue on daily like this. I am pretty much non-functional as far as leaving the house, etc., at this point, if it keeps up to this degree.