John of Ohio

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sholly, Jun 6, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

I've seen it everywhere, including here at the Mayo Clinic online piece:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menieres-disease/DS00535/DSECTION=symptoms

Quote from link: "Episodes often occur in clusters, with long periods of mild or no symptoms (remission) between"

2. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Hank,

That was quite sarcastic and rude of me...

My apologies...

Cheers,

Chris

3. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Although I don't attach much value to it, a casual (Goggle) search for 'Meniere's Remission', brings up about 10 pages....

Have a read Hank, but I beg you, don't quote it back at me!

Cheers,

Chris

4. Jordan

Jordan New Member

I do believe that Meniere's can spontaneously go into remission, which actually fits in nicely with the idea that the illness is, in many cases, caused by a herpes virus. This is characteristic of other herpes viruses (such as cold sores and genital herpes) in which an outbreak will occur and then go away (sometimes for a week, a month, two months, six months, a year, etc.) before coming back again.

Some people with these viruses suffer only very sporadically, while others are continuously assaulted with regular outbreaks.

With Meniere's, however, there is something extra to deal with, which is that the vestibular system is damaged a bit each time an outbreak (or attack) occurs, which can also explain why people with Meniere's often feel miserable from day to day and do not experience these remissions.

5. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Yes, exactly..

6. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

as most of you know, john of ohio works tirelessly helping others with menieres and tries to tell everyone the news of what worked for him.
    i was very very sick last year with menieres, to the point where i could not function at all. a super fit 30 year old male, good job/career, played squash at national level,newly married, suddenly my whole life came crashing down around me. no light at the end of the tunnel. i didnt want to go on.
    but because of this website and joh plus others here, i did go on and got my life back. i thank joh for helping me along the path to recovery.
    because i realise how sick i was and how i managed to recover, i feel obliged to help others with menieres at every oppertunity, and i really go out of my way to help because i feel i owe for my good health today. i suspect joh feels the same way, which is why he tirelessly promotes what worked for him to help others. no monetary gain or inflated egos here, just helping people.
    dont go pissing the man off...

7. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Hello Irelandman,

I'm glad you are well, and long may you remain so. A great success story. I agree with you, though I am sure that John has no objection to being placed under the spotlight from time to time. Even Albert Einstein had his critics!

Cheers,

Chris

8. jaypr

jaypr New Member

Yes but most of the criticism was directed to his hairdresser.

9. chrisj

chrisj Guest

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

By definition, Meniere's symptoms are cyclical. Therefore the periods between active symptoms are part of the diagnosis and are part of the cause of the symptoms. But that is not remission. Remission would mean the cycle of symptoms would be broken. Just because my symptoms came and went every 2-4 weeks, that does not mean that I was not still in the Meniere's cycle in between. And if there might be a prolonged period between cycles, that would mean that (1) whatever was causing the cycles is no longer present, or (2) that reason was being, or had been, successfully treated, as I wrote initially.

Remission, OTOH, would be reprieve, parole from a parole grantor, a third party or outside 'factor' as Chris puts it, beyond the sufferer, as if the factor of remission has its own volition, or is a universal constant or derivative, active in all of nature. Remission does not just occur. And therefore it is not useful, and is even unhealthy to think of it in those terms. Whatever changes, that causes Meniere's symptoms to subside, must be understood and harnessed, not discarded as part of the description of symptoms.

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

No offense taken. And I mean no offense either, only help for people who read this to understand the issues at play here. Understanding these issues could mean the difference between remaining symptomatic and conquering one's symptoms.

12. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jordan, you reinforce my point with your comments. Thank you. Yes, in the case you cite, as I wrote, "that reason (active herpes virus) is no longer present (or active), or that reason is being, or has been, successfully treated," as in what the JOH regimen does.

The distinction I draw here is not that the symptoms go away, remit if you will, but that when that occurs, there is a reason for it. It is not just luck. And it is not due to some mathematical factor or statistic, as Chris seems to assert above, which assertion drew me to comment. If there were such a factor at work here, it would be a universal factor, at work in all areas of life, a natural law, perhaps some factor akin to a Fibonacci sequence, if there is such a thing. And that factor would affect more than just Meniere's symptoms, the design of spiral galaxies for example. But in the process, that factor would affect Meniere's symptoms as well. But there is no evidence of that.

No, medical science uses this term to explain what it cannot, or will not try to explain otherwise. And its use of that term leaves sufferers hoping and praying for remission, hoping and praying that remission might take a shine to them, as if remission has its own life and personality, and turn their symptoms off, even for a respite. This is not a healthy way to think of these things.

Rather than using such a term, which attributes a personality to something that does not even exist, the user ought to just fess up and say that he or she has no idea why the symptoms were present, and therefore has no idea why they went away. That would be honest and that would help the sufferer to better understand what he or she is up against. Understanding that, any sufferer will more likely discover a successful way out of his or her suffering. Realizing this fact is what drew JOH to understand that if he were to find a way to conquer his symptoms, he would have to become his own best doctor, and that is what he did. And that is why I say that understanding these issues are vital if any one is to ever successfully treat their Meniere's symptoms. That is why this is important. And that is why I draw this distinction.

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I am gratified that you now understand my comments and agree with me.

14. chrisj

chrisj Guest

No Henry,

I don't agree with you.....

Leaps of logic and inane interpretations do not an argument make.

15. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Ground control to Major Henry.....

16. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Chris, what is 'remission factor?' And in answering, can you tell me what 'remission' is with a full working definition?

17. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

18. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Do we have a cure for mm yet?

19. Kee

Kee Guest

Herpes simplex virus (HSV) can go into remission for up to 50 years, according to my derm. If MM is a type of herpes virus, then remission is not unexpected.

20. gert157

gert157 New Member

I think all the main players in this thread should go to the home page of this site and REREAD the rules of this forum....... THIS IS NOT A DEBATE FORUM, I believe I have that correct...... If you have points you must get others to agree with or you just can't live with yourself until the others back down and finally agree with you, take it to the pm section of this website, most of what I have read has EGO written all over it and has done nothing to do with this being a coping informational website....... Please stop this, it serves no positive purpose, it is NOT helpful in anyway... Use the forum for what it was intended..........