Free snow available. You haul

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by poppaharley, Feb 10, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Greetings from the new Lake Wobegon, my home town, right here in Maryland. I sit here looking at what is now over 40 inches of snow (static) with 5-6 foot drifts. My ear buzzing, and singing, and plugged-up like somebody stuck a truck tire in there and inflated it. Ahh, but to move to someplace mild and with less snow.... like Buffalo.... or somewhere in the high Sierras. TV weather guy said this morning (about 5 inches ago) that we passed the worst snowfall record ever and this year now have surpassed Buffalo NY and Caribou Maine for snowfall. Not too shabby for a place that used to be part of the "Old South" back in the Cival War. Anybody out there in the Vancouver area that would like some of this stuff so that they don't have to do the giand slalom on ground styrafoam is free to come and haul some away...no charge.

I saw the post for the woman asking for prayers for her 60 year old husband out there trying to move it. I can relate. I have 5 years on you and I've been on that snowblower every 8 hours or so for the past two days and it's still coming. The birds can literally eat out of the feeder (which is about 4 feet off the ground) in back of our house by standing on the snow. No need to fly for that food. Lord knows when it will be filled again. I don't own snow shoes. I'm wondering if Harley Davidson has a snow plow option I can attach.

So to any of you in Md, DC, central/southern PA....... "having fun yet?"

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I soooo wish there was a way to store all that snow...it sure would come in handy this summer in drought-stricken places.....

(or like my DH says: ship it to Vancouver!!! ::))

3. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Hey Poppa, what do you ride? I ride too.

4. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

<<<Hey Poppa, what do you ride? I ride too.>>>

'96 Superglide that's been "bagged" out and windshielded, pretty much in touring mode....on those infrequent occasions any more when I can indeed ride. It's been sitting in the garage more than on the road in the nearly two years since being disgnosed with this condition. I can't bear to part with it and do get out for short rides when I'm feeling ok.

I wish you luck on being able to continue riding as much as you would like. I wonder how any of us crazies who like to straddle hot iron and still face the risk of vertigo manage to handle the anxiety of being out there. Maybe we really are psychos with a death wish. I no longer do group rides with my HOG group or venture onto expressways, but still like to cruise the less-traveled country roads around where I live when the opportunity allows. It's one of the things that helps me appreciate and give thanks for the days when I feel well.

5. Louise

Louise New Member

They could really use that snow for the Vancouver winter olympics! They're hauling snow to the skiing venues by helicopter....

6. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

Hi from New Brunswick, Canada. Normally this time of year we would have at least 4-5
    solid feet of snow on our lawn, but this year it is barely a foot. Our area is well prepared to handle the snow, however. I just hope that the private snow clearing contractors get enough business so that they'll be around again next year.

Climate change is doing weird things. Stay safe, and I hope we all see spring soon.

7. vikx

vikx New Member

Wish I was on my Harley now...sans snow, of course. VK

8. iowatriker

iowatriker New Member

We have over 55 inches of snowmen parts. I ride but it a 3 wheel vw trike. Have owned it for 12 years. Love to ride and been doing it for 40 years with no accidents. Never have to worry about tipping or falling over.

9. survivedit

survivedit New Member

No thanks, Poppa. We're up to around 100" on the year so far ourselves - 54 of which came in one storm.

Used to ride, but no more, not enough sense of balance left to be safe. One of my daughters rides a Harley, though.

Bob